Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Deterministic

Deterministic

Eli Golovinsky

I'm new to XML so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

>From what I know there is no way to predict what will be the order of

the nodes in a generated XML file. The same data of the same structure
can result in different XML files (when compared as text files), though
they will contain the same data.

I need to be able to use common test comparison and merging tools on
the XML files I generate. Is there any way to do this?

Eli.

Martin Honnen

Eli Golovinsky wrote:

> From what I know there is no way to predict what will be the order of
> the nodes in a generated XML file. The same data of the same structure
> can result in different XML files (when compared as text files), though
> they will contain the same data.

XML has order, the order of child nodes matters, only attributes are not
ordered so in the XML sense
<element att1="value 1" att2="value 2" />
and
<element att2="value 2" att1="value 1" />
represent the same information.

Of course I don't know how you generate the XML but order of child nodes
matters.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/