Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > SOAP requests

SOAP requests

Chiara Popalopa

I have to test a web application using SOAP and XML.
The application is in VB.net.
The thing is that in every tutorial I read, they're saying something
different.
What do I exactly put in the Envelope, concerning the namespace and
encoding.
And for the functions I'm supposed to test, do I have to put the exact
name? The thing is that I don't really know about the parameters of it
nor what its return value is supposed to be. Can I still work with it?
Thanks for your help.

Martin Honnen

Chiara Popalopa wrote:

> I have to test a web application using SOAP and XML.
> The application is in VB.net.
> The thing is that in every tutorial I read, they're saying something
> different.
> What do I exactly put in the Envelope, concerning the namespace and
> encoding.

Frankly to build and/or consume web services with .NET you do not need
to deal with SOAP at all, if you want to write a web service you can
write an .asmx file with a class deriving from WebService. If you want
to write a client you can generate the source code with a tool called
wsdl.exe I think which directly reads out the service description of a
web service and generates a proxy object that you can use in your .NET
client. No need to deal with SOAP at all:
<http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webservicesintro.aspx>

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Chiara Popalopa

Martin Honnen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<424a8891$0$11475$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net>...
> Chiara Popalopa wrote:
>
> > I have to test a web application using SOAP and XML.
> > The application is in VB.net.
> > The thing is that in every tutorial I read, they're saying something
> > different.
> > What do I exactly put in the Envelope, concerning the namespace and
> > encoding.

> Frankly to build and/or consume web services with .NET you do not need
> to deal with SOAP at all, if you want to write a web service you can
> write an .asmx file with a class deriving from WebService. If you want
> to write a client you can generate the source code with a tool called
> wsdl.exe I think which directly reads out the service description of a
> web service and generates a proxy object that you can use in your .NET
> client. No need to deal with SOAP at all:
> <http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickstart/aspplus/doc/webservicesintro.aspx>

The thing is that I have to use SOAP to test the application. That is
what they asked me to do.
I forgot to add that I don't know how to load my request. Do I just
open it in a web browser?

Martin Honnen

Chiara Popalopa wrote:

> The thing is that I have to use SOAP to test the application. That is
> what they asked me to do.

You have no clue about SOAP but want to create it by hand to call a web
service? If you create a proxy class with .NET it will offer you a fine
API but create and send SOAP under the hood so your test would use SOAP.

Anyway, if you have a .NET web service, it usually exposes a kind of
help page with example SOAP messages e.g. this service
<http://www.bindows.net/services/MathService.asmx>
for method add exposes this help page
<http://www.bindows.net/services/MathService.asmx?op=add>
where you can see an example SOAP request that the .NET webservice
should understand.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

SOAP requests Jay ASP .Net 2 04-11-2007 04:41 AM
SOAP-requests? Ron Eggler HTML 6 01-05-2006 01:27 PM
SOAP finance requests? Robert M. Gary Java 11 11-14-2005 01:42 AM
web requests and mobile requests Fernando Arámburu ASP .Net 1 04-08-2005 07:13 PM
Best way to send SOAP requests from IE client pages - WebService HTC? Cory ASP .Net 2 02-20-2004 09:35 AM

Advertisments