Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > free unicode editors for win98 FE

free unicode editors for win98 FE

Bob

I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.

I have a file at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mcc...t_entities.xml

This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
(http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
(http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.

Can anyone explain this?

Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
reliable source (no malware etc)?

Galen

In newsSp%d.1494$(E-Mail Removed),
Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> had this to say:

> I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First
> Edition.
>
> I have a file at
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mcc...t_entities.xml
>
> This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C
> validator (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
> (http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.
>
> Can anyone explain this?
>
> Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a
> completely reliable source (no malware etc)?

I can't explain it. I've no idea but there's this utility for you as you
wanted a free safe unicode editor.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/notepad2.html

Galen

V S Rawat

On 3/21/05 7:27 AM India Time, _Bob_ wrote:

> I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
>
> I have a file at
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mcc...t_entities.xml
>
> This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
> (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
> (http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.
>
> Can anyone explain this?
>
> Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
> reliable source (no malware etc)?

Search for a javabased FREE unicode editor "SIMREDO"

search on the net and download its latest version from their
site.

In case of any problem you can contact its developer
Mr Klivo Lendon <indriko at yahoo dot com>

works on 98SE as well xp etc.
--
Rawat

Rob van der Putten

Hi there

Bob wrote:

> I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
>
> I have a file at
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mcc...t_entities.xml
>
> This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
> (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
> (http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.
>
> Can anyone explain this?

Take a look with a hex editor.
This file is _NOT_ UTF-8 but UTF-16LE.
And notepad tends to insert a BOM.

> Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
> reliable source (no malware etc)?

AFIAK Yudit is available for Mac, Windows and unix;
http://yudit.org/download/binary/

Vr.Gr,
Rob
| Bribe the European Commission |
| http://mjr.iki.fi/texts/patentfund |

Jukka K. Korpela

"Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a file at
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mcc...ile_for_utf-8_
> accents_without_entities.xml
>
> This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad,

It claims to be UTF-8 encoded but isn't. The accented characters are in
ISO 8859-1 encoding, and using NUL octets won't save the day. Besides,
the server sends it with Content-Type: text/xml without indicating the
encoding, hence implying US-ASCII, and then there are troubles ahead.

So you need a different approach.

> Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a
> completely reliable source (no malware etc)?

There's no such thing as completely reliable source. (Would you rate
Microsoft as completely reliable for example?)

But see
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/utilities.html#win
which has a nice collection of pointers to useful Unicode editors.
For editing Web pages, NVU ( http://www.nvu.com ) might be a good idea;
it has been developed from Netscape/Mozilla Composer, and it's gaining
popularity.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Dan

Consider upgrading to 98SE for WMP 9, better driver management, USB 2.0
through 3rd parties, more critical updates, best 9x operating system, imho,
etc.

newsSp%d.1494$(E-Mail Removed)...
: I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
:
: I have a file at
:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mcc...t_entities.xml
:
: This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
: (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
: (http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.
:
: Can anyone explain this?
:
: Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
: reliable source (no malware etc)?
:

Dan

VS Rawat, I am on Arizona time --- 7:00 ----- by the way, have you used
Unix/Linux and/or Apple software/hardware and do you like them better than
Microsoft operating systems? I am considering jumping ship after the 9x line
is ended on 30 June 2006 to Linux/Unix and Apple because of the underlying
weaknesses in the NT (New Technology --- aka Not There called by Microsoft
Engineers and I think even Bill Gates in the past --- first is true because I
read it in a book) In addition, any ideas on how to get a hold of the active
firewall that will shut down computer networks when users hack your
machine -- I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be high
if need be --- up to $300 but must be real --- TIA and have a nice day ---
BTW, you can probably tell that I worked for the U.S. government -- LOL

"V S Rawat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: On 3/21/05 7:27 AM India Time, _Bob_ wrote:
:
: > I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
: >
: > I have a file at
: >
[...]
: --
: Rawat

Brian A.

> I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
> need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be high
> if need be --- up to $300 but must be real ---

Better add another 0 on the end of that, and go with a Cisco server if you want
that type of security.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dan

Dang -- $3000 bucks --- well I don't have that kind of cash laying around but
thanks for the input anyway. <smile>

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: "Dan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
: > need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be
high
: > if need be --- up to $300 but must be real ---
:
: Better add another 0 on the end of that, and go with a Cisco server if you
want
: that type of security.
:
:
: --
:
: Brian A.
:
: Conflicts start where information lacks.
: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
:
:

Bob

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> VS Rawat, I am on Arizona time --- 7:00 ----- by the way, have you used
> Unix/Linux and/or Apple software/hardware and do you like them better than
> Microsoft operating systems? I am considering jumping ship after the 9x

line
> is ended on 30 June 2006 to Linux/Unix and Apple because of the underlying
> weaknesses in the NT

This is off my topic, but my Dad, who was using Win 98 SE has just bought a
Mac. Two of my brothers & a nephew already use Macs. I've never met anyone
who's used both Windows and a Mac who didn't prefer the Mac

Linux is popular with people 30 years old & younger who work in Computing or
did Computer Science degrees. I suspect for non-techies it may be very time
consuming to keep a Linux system up to date & figure out how things work.