Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Standard for simple database exchange?

Standard for simple database exchange?

nospam@geniegate.com

This has got to be a FAQ some place, but....

Say I've got a table in some database some place, like so:
(Actually, it's several tables kind of turned sideways, but
for purposes of this question it may as well be this, because
this is the intended target)

PERSONS
-------------------
UID FNAME LNAME
flast First Last

At first it looks like a tab file would work, (and indeed, it would,
except that data may contain \n or \t)

What I'm looking for is a *standard* way to produce something simple,
like this:

<row>
<field label="User ID" name="UID">flast</field>
<field label="First Name" name="FNAME">first name</field>
<field label="Last Name" name="LNAME">last name</field>
</row>

But I want the XML to follow a DTD that is commonly used for importing
simple data. Something I can just hand someone and ideally their database
already handles it, or, they can install a tool in <2 minutes for it.

Would be nice if it allowed for file attachments, like:

<field label="Extra documentation" name="description" content_type="application/pdf" filename="somefile.pdf">
... base64 encoded data ...
</field>

But it's not strictly required, I'd rather produce simple XML with just the
filename. (Simplicity is the key here, 99% of the time there won't be files,
and if the format allowed base64 encoding and BLOBS, I could always generate
additional fields for that purpose)

Where would I find a specification for that? I've tried google, but all I've
found are tools designed to be *configured* for a wide variety of XML.

Jamie
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (rot13) User Management Solutions