Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Netscape 6 support for XML

Netscape 6 support for XML

EU citizen

Netscape 6 is supposed to support XML. However it doesn' t display acute
accented vowels (see
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mcc...so-8859-1.xml).
Have I made some sort of mistake, or is support for XML more patchy than is
generally indicated?

David Dorward

EU citizen wrote:

> Netscape 6 is supposed to support XML.

> Have I made some sort of mistake, or is support for XML more patchy than
> is generally indicated?

I don't know about XML support specifically, but Netscape 6 is generally
considered to have been released too early. The Mozilla source tree it was
spun off was not mature enough. I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version
of Mozilla or Firefox. (Or Netscape 7.whatever is latest if you *really*
want to stick with Netscape).

Testing with Firefox 1.0 shows that accented characters do display, so it
looks like a (now fixed) browser bug.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Neil Deakin

EU citizen wrote:
> Netscape 6 is supposed to support XML. However it doesn' t display acute
> accented vowels (see
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mcc...so-8859-1.xml).
> Have I made some sort of mistake, or is support for XML more patchy than is
> generally indicated?

XML doesn't predefine any of those entities. See:

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-predefined-ent

The numeric form, such as á should work.

/ Neil