Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Any tools for validating xml against schemas?

Any tools for validating xml against schemas?

COHENMARVIN

I'm just starting out in XML for my business, and already I'm given a
large and complicated XML schema. If I write XML files based on the
schema, is there any tool that
1. Tells me if I'm valid according to the schema
and/or
2. Tells me that I'm nesting my tags properly, and in general creating
well formed XML files?
Thanks,
Marvin

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=

COHENMARVIN wrote:

> I'm just starting out in XML for my business, and already I'm given a
> large and complicated XML schema. If I write XML files based on the
> schema, is there any tool that

More recent versions of xmllint can validate
against DTD and also against Schema.

> 1. Tells me if I'm valid according to the schema

It is usually a file which is valid against a
Schema and not the author of the file.

> and/or
> 2. Tells me that I'm nesting my tags properly, and in general creating
> well formed XML files?

Well-Formedness is also checked by xmllint.

COHENMARVIN

XMLLint is exactly what I need to validate xml against schemas. The
only problem is, I'm confined to a Windows system, and XMLLint seems to
be a unix program. Is there anything similar to XMLLint that works on
Windows?
Thanks,
Marvin

COHENMARVIN wrote:

> XMLLint is exactly what I need to validate xml against schemas. The
> only problem is, I'm confined to a Windows system, and XMLLint seems to
> be a unix program. Is there anything similar to XMLLint that works on
> Windows?

I have never used xmllint on Windows, but with
Google I quickly found these:

ftp://ftp.zlatkovic.com/pub/libxml/
http://www.zlatkovic.com/libxml.en.html
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/setup.xml#xmllint

Remember that xmllint comes with libxml.

grouch

COHENMARVIN wrote:
> XMLLint is exactly what I need to validate xml against schemas. The
> only problem is, I'm confined to a Windows system, and XMLLint seems

> be a unix program. Is there anything similar to XMLLint that works

on
> Windows?
> Thanks,
> Marvin

You could try XmlStarlet (http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/)

It is free and based on same libxml2 library as
xmllint and has windows binaries.

The XmlStarlet toolkit's feature set includes options to:

* Check or validate XML files (simple well-formedness check, DTD,
XSD, RelaxNG)
* Calculate values of XPath expressions on XML files (such as
running sums, etc)
* Search XML files for matches to given XPath expressions
* Apply XSLT stylesheets to XML documents (including EXSLT support,
and passing parameters to stylesheets)
* Query XML documents (ex. query for value of some elements of
attributes, sorting, etc)
* Modify or edit XML documents (ex. delete some elements)
* Format or "beautify" XML documents (as changing indentation, etc)
* Fetch XML documents using http:// or ftp:// URLs
* Browse tree structure of XML documents (in similar way to 'ls'
command for directories)
* Include one XML document into another using XInclude
* XML c14n canonicalization
* Escape/unescape special XML characters in input text
* Print directory as XML document
* Convert XML into PYX format (based on ESIS - ISO 8879), and vice
versa

--MG

grouch