Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > HOW TO EMBED RSS TO ANY HTML WEB PAGE

HOW TO EMBED RSS TO ANY HTML WEB PAGE

myblueshoes .com

Hi I am not a programmer - and hope not to be, someday.

But I have great respect for those who are- especially those who can
break it down for the rest of us.

I would like to know how I can simply have RSS feeds "appear" on a plain
ol' HTML page.

(I have gotten scripts to put in my <HEAD> and <BODY> tags that have not
only, not worked- the code was visible to the end- user in my web page.)

I've seen many cool sites that use it- and I would like to be one of
them.... Can someone please give me the break down on what options
there are and the installation process (on client and server side, if
any) - to get me started?

Thanks,
LT
myblueshoes.com

Andy Dingley

On 15 Jan 2005 11:00:18 -0600, myblueshoes .com
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would like to know how I can simply have RSS feeds "appear" on a plain
>ol' HTML page.

You turn it into plain ol' HTML before you send it anywhere near a
browser. This has to happen on the _server_.

There are any number of cutesy little DHTML scripts that run on the
browser and will show all sorts of RSS feeds. However these are
horribly browser dependent (read recent IE on Windows). As a result,
they simply don't work for a great many of your site visitors - so
don't do it that way !

You're now looking for something that works on your server, and
whatever server-side scripting you can obtain for it (PHP is likely).
So find out what your scripting options are, and then Google for
something that matches those with RSS.

XSLT might be a part of this. But as a great many RSS feeds are
invalid XML (RSS isn't actually an XML protocol!), then this is
somewhat unreliable for real "24x7" grade reliability.

--
Smert' spamionam

myblueshoes .com

THanx for this. let's say I can upload a php script to a scripts bin on
apache/linux server - what's the next step?

Any special flie extensions needed and what goes on the client side to
call & display the feeds?

I have never done this before- Any sample sites (to see the output)/
scripts (to plug and play) would be appreciated-

myblueshoes

Jack

Hi,

>You're now looking for something that works on your server, and
>whatever server-side scripting you can obtain for it (PHP is likely).
>So find out what your scripting options are, and then Google for
>something that matches those with RSS.

There is a free RSS to HTML script available from the FeedForAll website at:

http://www.feedforall.com/free-php-script.htm

It will use a PHP script to convert the RSS to html, it appears static but is
dynamic (great for SEO). Another option is to export the feed to html using
FeedForAll.

Best of luck
Jack

Nick Kew

Jack wrote:

> There is a free RSS to HTML script available from the FeedForAll website at:
>
> http://www.feedforall.com/free-php-script.htm
>
> It will use a PHP script to convert the RSS to html, it appears static but is
> dynamic (great for SEO). Another option is to export the feed to html using
> FeedForAll.
>
> Best of luck
> Jack

Sounds hugely inefficient to me doing that in PHP, especially if your
pages are anything other than static (do we know if they are)?
The appropriate architecture for it is a filter, and the obvious
implementation is the Apache XMLNS framework.

--
Nick Kew

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:40:28 +0000, Nick Kew
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sounds hugely inefficient to me doing that in PHP

You can't have "huge inefficiencies" from doing RSS in PHP - it just
isn't big enough! Even if it's "woefully inelegant" as an
architecture, we're talking about 3 milliseconds vs. 2 milliseconds.

The advantages of PHP for easy and cheap hosting outweigh almost
anything else, until you get to fairly huge systems. I don't like it
myself as a language, but you can't argue with those hosting costs
(the only real competitor would be Perl, and I'm not doing _that_).

--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley

On 15 Jan 2005 19:10:20 -0600, myblueshoes .com
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>THanx for this. let's say I can upload a php script to a scripts bin on
>apache/linux server - what's the next step?

Next step ? You're pretty much done. The tricky bit is the one
before, where you write (or somebody else writes) the script itself.

>I have never done this before- Any sample sites (to see the output)/
>scripts (to plug and play) would be appreciated-

Sorry, I haven't a clue - not something I do.

I don't build sites - at least I don't build many of them, or little
ones. What _I_ build is hugely over-engineered over-complicated things
that can twist RSS every which way -- but they aren't what most people
want, so I do very few of them.

While I'm doing this, I filter-feed the blogosphere and see lots of
smart little sites building simple (but no less well-engineered)
content displays from "everyday" uses of RSS. There's a million people
out there writing scripts to do this, and offering them to the likes
of your site, but it's just not something I personally have any
hands-on with, so I can't recommend particular scripts as being
easiest to get up and working (none of them are particularly hard
though).

Your next step is Google, then finding sites that offer such scripts,
and a few example sites that use them.
--
Smert' spamionam

myblueshoes .com

Many Thanks!

Should have it up and running in no-time. My concern is keeping the user
coming back as a result of having some dynamic content on an otherwise -
static html page.

I'll come back & post the site when it's got the RSS in just to show you
that all your good advise hasn't gone to waste!