Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Good XML Editor

Good XML Editor

Rhino

Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right now.
I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it isn't as
slick as XMLSpy.

--
Rhino
---

defdingo

"Rhino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dajFd.37243$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
> XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right now.
> I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it isn't as
> slick as XMLSpy.
>
> --
> Rhino
> ---
> rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it
> so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to
> make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." - C.A.R.
> Hoare

I've been using ... cooktop v2.5
Excerpt from their website ... http://xmlcooktop.com
"Cooktop is an editor and development environment for XML, DTD, and XSLT documents
Cooktop is a Windows application
Best of all, it's free!"

hope it helps you ... cheers, defdingo

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Joachim_Wei=DF?=

Rhino schrieb:
> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
> XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right now.
> I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it isn't as
> slick as XMLSpy.

AFAIK the Home Edition of XMLSpy is free.

Jo

anonymous

Rhino wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
> XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right now.
> I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it isn't as
> slick as XMLSpy.

oxygenXML isn't exactly free, but it is dirt cheap. I use it
exclusively, among other reasons because it is Java based and runs on
Linux. Wouldn't touch XmlSpy unless it ran on Linux.

docbook.xml@gmail.com

Here is list of popular WYSIWYM/WYSIWYG XML editors :
http://www.xml-dev.com/xml/editors.html
All freeware, opensource, and commercial editors are listed.

In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net

Rhino wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of

Altova
> XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it

right now.
> I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it

isn't as
> slick as XMLSpy.
>
> --
> Rhino
> ---
> rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to

make it
> so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way

is to
> make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." -

C.A.R.
> Hoare

Manuel Collado

Joachim Weiß wrote:

> Rhino schrieb:
>
>> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
>> XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right
>> now.
>> I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it
>> isn't as
>> slick as XMLSpy.
>>

> AFAIK the Home Edition of XMLSpy is free.

The 'standard' edition of the XML Mind XML editor (XXE) is free for
personal use. It's a WYSIWYG XML *content* editor. See:

http://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/

It's is my personal choice.
--
To reply by e-mail, please remove the extra dot
in the given address: m.collado -> mcollado

JAPISoft

http://www.editix.com

Rhino wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of Altova
> XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford it right now.
> I'd like to get something free that does a decent job, even if it isn't as
> slick as XMLSpy.

John Fereira

"defdingo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:41e64242$0$3436$(E-Mail Removed) :

> "Rhino" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dajFd.37243$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Can anyone recommend a good *free* XML editor? I tried a demo of
>> Altova XMLSpy and thought it was pretty neat but I just can't afford
>> it right now. I'd like to get something free that does a decent job,
>> even if it isn't as slick as XMLSpy.
>>
>> --
>> Rhino
>> ---
>> rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
>> "There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to
>> make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the
>> other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious
>> deficiencies." - C.A.R. Hoare
>>

> I've been using ... cooktop v2.5
> Excerpt from their website ... http://xmlcooktop.com
> "Cooktop is an editor and development environment for XML, DTD, and
> XSLT documents
> Cooktop is a Windows application
> Best of all, it's free!"

I also like Cooktop. Even thought we have a license for XMLSpy and I have
it installed on my system I still end up using Cooktop more often. Even
better than the fact that it's free is that it has a small footprint. It
loads and runs very fast.

ionescu.mihai@gmail.com

You may try the oXygen XML Editor [http://www.oxygenxml.com].

dec200269

Check out Style Studio XML http://www.stylestudio.com Way beyond
anything I have come across for a commercial product on the market. If
you require cross-platform or non-Windows editor then oXygen is a great
tool as well.
-D