Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML Newbie question

XML Newbie question

scottc

All,

I'm new to xml and have a question about how to use it. I have an asp
application that we thought about using xml to replace some session
variables. The idea would be to create an xml object that would store
all of our session variables, then store the xml object in a session
variable. Does this make sense to do this?

Thanks,

Scott......

Martin Honnen

scottc wrote:

> I'm new to xml and have a question about how to use it. I have an asp
> application that we thought about using xml to replace some session
> variables. The idea would be to create an xml object that would store
> all of our session variables, then store the xml object in a session
> variable. Does this make sense to do this?

If you want to use MSXML with classic ASP to do that (that is storing an
XML document in a session variable) then I think you have to use
Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument. I have never done that however, you
might find more help on the microsoft news server in an ASP group or
perhaps in the xml groups there.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

anonymous

scottc wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm new to xml and have a question about how to use it. I have an asp
> application that we thought about using xml to replace some session
> variables. The idea would be to create an xml object that would store
> all of our session variables, then store the xml object in a session
> variable. Does this make sense to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott......

I don't think so.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:20:14 +0100, Martin Honnen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>scottc wrote:

>> I'm new to xml and have a question about how to use it.

This is really a question about _when_ to use it. It's hard to give a
good answer, not knowing your application, but I'm dubious.

>> The idea would be to create an xml object that would store
>> all of our session variables, then store the xml object in a session
>> variable.

_Why_ is this data in XML ? Is it sensible or beneficial to work
with this data as XML, ignoring the Session issues for the moment ?
If you wouldn't chose to use XML otherwise, then it certainly doesn;t
make sense to wrap it in XML, just so you can keep it in the Session
object.

If your application makes some snippet of XML and wants to keep it
around, then that might make sense. But wrapping up perfectly good
variables just as an extra layer of container is silly.

>If you want to use MSXML with classic ASP to do that (that is storing an
>XML document in a session variable) then I think you have to use
>Msxml2.FreeThreadedDOMDocument.

Yes, but this is easy. Look in the SDK help file that ships with the
MSXML component for an example. It's filed under how to cache XSLT
stylesheets (try "XSL Template Examples") because that's the usual
reason you might need to do this sort of multi-thread juggling.

--
Smert' spamionam