Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Simple knowledge/note-taking/database system?

Simple knowledge/note-taking/database system?

Anton

Hi!

Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

Interested in reading from you,
Anton

Neo

> ... simple graphical program to handle simple documents,
> such as notes, short lists of items or small databases?

See www.xdb2.com for a small experimental db that fits on a floppy. If
you can post some sample data, we can attempt to enter it.

Chris F.A. Johnson

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 at 20:01 GMT, Anton wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
> documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
> parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

Why do you need a "graphical program" to enter text?

Why XML if your needs are simple? It is good for some forms of
data, but it is not a panacea. A simple text file can be parsed
with less overhead than XML.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org/shell
My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2004, Chris F.A. Johnson

rumionfire@gmail.com

Hello,

There are several WYSIWYM / WYSIWYG XML editors listed @
http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/#19 . With a simple XML Schema/DTD you can
make one of these editors to do what you want.
In Peace,
Saqib Ali
http://www.silverdivan.com

Christopher Browne

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Anton) transmitted:
> Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
> documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
> parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

What variety of graph
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_%28mathematics%29> were you
thinking of mapping the documents onto?

You should realize, of course, that "simple documents" are generally
not particularly useful to try to map onto graphical schemes.

It's quite likely to be a lot better to look at existing systems for
managing text. Emacs has a "records" mode that is very nice for
building sets of notes, in the form of "diary entries" that can link
to one another.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.mca" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/document.html

Rich Fearn

> Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
> documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
> parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

At my previous place of work, I used Lotus Notes and was able to create
documents to hold notes. To get similar functionality at home, I've
installed MediaWiki (http://www.mediawiki.org/) which allows me to
create new documents and link them together.

MediaWiki uses MySQL as its backend, and it is possible to get at the
contents of your pages (e.g. using PHP) - I'm experimenting with this at
the moment.

Rich

Bill Harris

rumionfire@gmail.com

tools like FreeMind and others (
http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/index.php#70 ) provide a way to export as
HTML. But I wonder if there are any tools that let you export to XML,
using a simple Schema?
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Saqib Ali
http://www.silverdivan.com

rumionfire@gmail.com

Please ignore my last msg. I just found out that FreeMind stores
MindMaps as XML . So I am happy.

Saqib Ali
http://validate.sf.net

Andrew Schulman

> Does anyone know a simple graphical program to handle simple
> documents, such as notes, short lists of items or small databases? A
> parsable format (e.g. XML) for file storage would be good.

There are lots of little heirarchical note-storing programs. Treepad,
Treeline (my current favorite), Tuxcards, and Knowit come to mind. Most
of these also have Windows versions, which is helpful if you need to
work on both platforms. All of the above are free-form; they'll store
images and text in each node, but not databases. Hidam
(http://hidam.sourceforge.net) seems promising in offering a combination
of free text and data in each node, but it's alpha quality and
developing very slowly.

Good luck,
Andrew.

--
To reply by email, replace "deadspam.com" by "alumni.utexas.net"