Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XSL-FO to PDF -- Effectiveness

XSL-FO to PDF -- Effectiveness

Driver

Well, the topic of PDF came up, and the polarized opinions were:

1) Adobe FrameMaker (structured) to PDF

2) Adobe FrameMaker (structured) to XML, then XSL:FO to PDF

Hmmm. I thought Frame to PDF was a lock, with respect to effective PDF
generation, allowing latitude for various options, but I think I'm willing
to be convinced otherwise.

Opinions...?

Garic

Peter Flynn

Driver wrote:

> Well, the topic of PDF came up, and the polarized opinions were:
>
> 1) Adobe FrameMaker (structured) to PDF
>
> 2) Adobe FrameMaker (structured) to XML, then XSL:FO to PDF

You're missing one:

3) Adobe FrameMaker (structured) to XML, then XSLT to LaTeX to PDF.

> Hmmm. I thought Frame to PDF was a lock, with respect to effective PDF
> generation, allowing latitude for various options, but I think I'm willing
> to be convinced otherwise.

Going via LaTeX is an extra step, but it allows you to take advantage of
TeX's 25 years of expertise in programmable typesetting, thereby avoiding
the reinvention of the wheel which has to take place on other routes.

///Peter