Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Xindice VS Relational Databases

Xindice VS Relational Databases

Eric Frigot

Hi all,

I am curently working with a Xindice database.

I've got a lot of problems i can't resolve :
- Xindice development seems to be stopped, is it a good idea to
use it today ?
- Xindice is say to be good for small or medium XML data, what is
a small or medium XML file ? 100ko ? 1 Mo ?
- Are Xindice performances linear ? What is the time to access one
data between 10 000 ? And is it the same for 1 000 000 ?
- Are XPath request as fast as SQL request ?
- What about making low balancing with Xindice ? Is it possible to
synchronized different Xindice databases on different server ?

Well, all those questions are one, i've got a Xindice database
containing medicals datas about people. For one person, an XML entry is
used, this size is between 10 ko and 1 Mo. Today, i've got no more than
100 000 people in one database, but tomorrow it would be at least
1 000 000. The number of user connected at the same time would be 100,
so the number of requests and adds will become very important. Must i
used MySql or Oracle databases ?

I cannot find anything to make a choice, so all your informations are
welcome.

Eric.

Jim Kennedy

"Eric Frigot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I am curently working with a Xindice database.
>
> I've got a lot of problems i can't resolve :
> - Xindice development seems to be stopped, is it a good idea to
> use it today ?
> - Xindice is say to be good for small or medium XML data, what is
> a small or medium XML file ? 100ko ? 1 Mo ?
> - Are Xindice performances linear ? What is the time to access one
> data between 10 000 ? And is it the same for 1 000 000 ?
> - Are XPath request as fast as SQL request ?
> - What about making low balancing with Xindice ? Is it possible to
> synchronized different Xindice databases on different server ?
>
> Well, all those questions are one, i've got a Xindice database
> containing medicals datas about people. For one person, an XML entry is
> used, this size is between 10 ko and 1 Mo. Today, i've got no more than
> 100 000 people in one database, but tomorrow it would be at least
> 1 000 000. The number of user connected at the same time would be 100,
> so the number of requests and adds will become very important. Must i
> used MySql or Oracle databases ?
>
> I cannot find anything to make a choice, so all your informations are
> welcome.
>
> Eric.

If development is stopped then I would look for another solution. Oracle
handles XML well. You could use that.
Jim