Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Help with validating xhtml

Help with validating xhtml

mike

Hello,
I need a little help trying to validate a friends xhtml site. My friend
does not have a url yet so I will post a few snippets of where the problem
is.
He is getting the following error when validate it at
http://validate.w3.org.
The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser (unknown) did not
contain a "charset" parameter, but the Content-Type was one of the XML
text/* sub-types (text/xml). The relevant specification (RFC 3023) specifies
a strong default of "us-ascii" for such documents so we will use this value
regardless of any encoding you may have indicated elsewhere. If you would
like to use a different encoding, you should arrange to have your browser
send this new encoding information.
Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 397 it
contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as us-ascii (in other
words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character
Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character
encoding indication.

left:30px; top:330px; width:150px; visibility: visible; z-index:111">
Here is where the problem starts
test test test. test<br>

Any help would be appreciated

Jukka K. Korpela

"mike" <nogood@.invalid> wrote:

> I need a little help trying to validate a friends xhtml site.

The odds are that you would get better help in a group devoted to
(X)HTML than in this general XML group. Moreover, the _fastest_ way
would probably be to read some relevant FAQs and tutorials. Did you
check the validator's FAQ? If you did, then actually the mailing list
advertized there is probably the best place for getting help.

> My friend
> does not have a url yet so I will post a few snippets of where the
> problem is.

Then the page should be uploaded. When asking for free help from a
worldwide community, that's part of the minimum you're expected to do.

> The HTTP Content-Type header sent by your web browser (unknown)
> did not contain a "charset" parameter,

A known issue, see e.g.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/...4Jun/0130.html

You are using validation via file submission (using a form), and file
submission is poorly implemented in browsers, especially IE.

The problem vanishes if you upload the document and specify the URL to
the validator. Alternatively, use a better browser, like Firefox.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

convert xhtml to another xhtml using xslt Usha2009 XML 0 12-20-2009 01:13 PM
Should I Convert Site To XHTML or XHTML mobile? chronos3d HTML 9 12-05-2006 04:46 PM
parse URL (href) from xhtml, xhtml -> text, for data hawat.thufir@gmail.com XML 7 02-08-2006 07:39 PM
Re: XHTML Validating Forms symon HTML 2 02-25-2004 06:36 AM
Validating embedded lists as XHTML Firas D. HTML 1 01-06-2004 06:17 PM

Advertisments