Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML-schema aware parsers

XML-schema aware parsers

Mark Grossmann

I am really new to XML parsers. AFAIK most (DOM) XML parsers use XML schemas
only for validation. Are there parsers that use XML schema to optimize
in-memory representation of XML-trees?

For example I have a zillion of small XML documents loaded in memory (for
fast access), all instances of the same XML-schema. Optimally the structural
information of corresponding XML-trees should not be replicated zillion
times.

Thanks,
-- Mark

Martin Honnen

Mark Grossmann wrote:

> I am really new to XML parsers. AFAIK most (DOM) XML parsers use XML schemas
> only for validation. Are there parsers that use XML schema to optimize
> in-memory representation of XML-trees?
>
> For example I have a zillion of small XML documents loaded in memory (for
> fast access), all instances of the same XML-schema. Optimally the structural
> information of corresponding XML-trees should not be replicated zillion
> times.

I do not implement parsers, I only use them but as far as the W3C DOM
Level 2 goes there is no schema related information in that object
model. And at least for the Java binding the W3C DOM is only modelled by
interfaces so you can't tell what structure is below implementing those
interfaces.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/