Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XPath

XPath

Phani

Hi all,

I am new to XPath. I have a doubt in it.

My xml is like this:

<UserInfo>
<Contacts>
<Name>Chris Bob</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Mike Chris</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Chris</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Chrisine</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Kiran Kumar</Name>
</Contacts>
<Contacts>
<Name>Kumar</Name>
</Contacts>
</UserInfo>

So, i want to search for all names with the value in enter in html text
box.

If i enter Kumar then the last two nodes should come as it has kumar in
it. Similarly if i enter Chris then first three nodes should display,
but the fourth one should not come.
Is this possible. Please help me on how to do it.

--Phani

Martin Honnen

Phani wrote:

> I am new to XPath. I have a doubt in it.
>
> My xml is like this:
>
> <UserInfo>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Chris Bob</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Mike Chris</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Chris</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Chrisine</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Kiran Kumar</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Kumar</Name>
> </Contacts>
> </UserInfo>
>
> So, i want to search for all names with the value in enter in html text
> box.
>
> If i enter Kumar then the last two nodes should come as it has kumar in
> it. Similarly if i enter Chris then first three nodes should display,
> but the fourth one should not come.

If you use the XPath
/UserInfo/Contacts/Name[contains(., 'Kumar')]
then all <Name> elements that contain the string 'Kumar' are found.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Joris Gillis

> Hi all,
>
> I am new to XPath. I have a doubt in it.
>
> My xml is like this:
>
> <UserInfo>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Chris Bob</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Mike Chris</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Chris</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Chrisine</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Kiran Kumar</Name>
> </Contacts>
> <Contacts>
> <Name>Kumar</Name>
> </Contacts>
> </UserInfo>
>
> So, i want to search for all names with the value in enter in html text
> box.
>
> If i enter Kumar then the last two nodes should come as it has kumar in
> it. Similarly if i enter Chris then first three nodes should display,
> but the fourth one should not come.
> Is this possible. Please help me on how to do it.

Hi,

This is a regular expression problem, regexes are not defined in XSLT1.0, but will be in XSLT2.0

Meanwhile you can use extension, or work around it (in a quite ugly way):
<xsl:apply-templates select="Contacts[contains(concat(' ',Name,' '),concat(' ',$name,' '))]"/>

Or, alternatively, if you can, you should extend the XML structure: split the name node in a 'name' and 'surname' node.

regards,
--
Joris Gillis (http://www.ticalc.org/cgi-bin/acct-v...i?userid=38041)
Ceterum censeo XML omnibus esse utendum

Phani

Hi Martin,

I have tried your suggestion and it didn't worked out. It is popping up
an error message saying :

Unknown method.
/UserInfo/Contacts/Name[-->contains(.<--,"Apple")]

The following is the code which i have written:

<head>
Body {font-family:Arial; }
th {font-size:0.8em;}
td {font-size:0.8em;}
p {font-size:0.8em;}
</head>

<xml id="UserInfo" src="test.xml"></xml>

#d2d2d2'> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<input type=button name='Search' value='Search Now' style='border:1px
solid black;height=20px'onClick='javascript:var sepvar
= col_no.value;
SetAndFilter(UserInfo,DataExtractLower,"UserInfo/Contacts/Name[contains(.,\"Apple\")]")'></p>

<xml id="DataExtractLower"></xml>
<thead bgcolor="#d2d2d2">
<th>Name</th>
<th>Location</th>
<th>Phone</th>
<th>Extn</th>
<th>Title</th>
<th>Department</th>
</thead>

<script language=javascript>
function SetAndFilter (sourceXML, destXML, XPathFormula) {
alert(XPathFormula);
sourceXML.setProperty("SelectionLanguage", "XPath");
var dummy = destXML.XMLDocument.loadXML(sourceXML.xml);
vNodesToRemove = destXML.selectNodes(XPathFormula) ;
vNodesToRemove.removeAll();
}
</script>

So, whatever the user types in should check for the initial characters
of both firstname and last name.

If a user enters "cla" then it should bring back "Michael clark" as
well as "clark michael"

Hope my question is understandable. I learnt a way to program to
display xml like html tables using data islands...

--Phani

Martin Honnen

Phani wrote:

> I have tried your suggestion and it didn't worked out. It is popping up
> an error message saying :
>
> Unknown method.
> /UserInfo/Contacts/Name[-->contains(.<--,"Apple")]

Are you using IE 6? Only IE 6 comes with MSXML 3 which supports XPath
1.0, earlier versions of IE come with an MSXML version that doesn't
support XPath 1.0. So you either need to install IE 6 or you need to
install MSXML 3 in so called replace mode.

> <script language=javascript>
> function SetAndFilter (sourceXML, destXML, XPathFormula) {
> alert(XPathFormula);
> sourceXML.setProperty("SelectionLanguage", "XPath");
> var dummy = destXML.XMLDocument.loadXML(sourceXML.xml);
> vNodesToRemove = destXML.selectNodes(XPathFormula) ;

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Phani

I have installed IE6 installed Martin.

Can you tell me on any other ways to do this type of things.

I wanted to load all xml in single shot(when page loads) and then use
the xml (or data islands) to search /filter.
Please let me know on this...

--Phani.

Martin Honnen

Phani wrote:

> I have installed IE6

Looking at your code again I think the problem is here:

sourceXML.setProperty("SelectionLanguage", "XPath");
var dummy = destXML.XMLDocument.loadXML(sourceXML.xml);
vNodesToRemove = destXML.selectNodes(XPathFormula) ;

You need to set the SelectionLanguage on destXML e.g.
destXML.setProperty("SelectionLanuage", "XPath")

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Phani

Yep Martin, i have tried it and this time i didn't got any error.

The javascript written in the code is wrong. It is working only if the
xpath expression contains "!".

like if name!="Apple" then destXML contains only the documents which
have Apple in them.

I need to change it. Can you help me on this. I think vNodesToRemove is
where the problem is .
Can we use "not" expression in XPATH.

--Phani

Martin Honnen

Phani wrote:

> Can we use "not" expression in XPATH.

You might want to read the XPath specification
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath#section-Boolean-Functions
And there are tutorials on XPath such as this one:
http://www.w3schools.com/xpath/default.asp

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Jeff Kish

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:30:48 GMT, "Joris Gillis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ceterum censeo XML omnibus esse utendum

What's the latin translate to? 'XML is for us all to enjoy'?
Thanks
Jeff Kish