Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > RSS question

RSS question

Danny

IF a site like yahoo for example has an RSS feeds available, you can usually
click on it and see the xml code.

1. what do you do with that code?
2. how do I show this on my website?

Thanks in advance

Danny

Iain Robinson

Danny wrote:
> IF a site like yahoo for example has an RSS feeds available, you can usually
> click on it and see the xml code.
>
> 1. what do you do with that code?

Not trying to be funny but that depends on what you mean. If you mean
"their" code...first check if they allow you to use it on "your" site.

> 2. how do I show this on my website?

If you have a standard well formed XML document (.xml extension) you can
view it in IE / Firefox just as you would a HTML page...but...if there
is no CSS stylesheet attached to it all you will get is a "tree" view of
the raw XML data.

P@

> Thanks in advance
>
> Danny

Martin Honnen

Danny wrote:

> IF a site like yahoo for example has an RSS feeds available, you can usually
> click on it and see the xml code.
>
> 1. what do you do with that code?
> 2. how do I show this on my website?

As long as it is allowed to consume the RSS feed to show it you can of
course use DOM or XSLT programming to extract the information you are
interested in and transform it to HTML. There are XSLT stylesheets
around for instance to transform such a feed to HTML. What you do on
your web site depends mainly on what server side techniques you have
available to consume XML.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/