Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Free XML File resource containing countries?

Free XML File resource containing countries?

mr_burns

Hi there,

I there anywhere on the internet where I can obtain free XML files?
What I am looking for is an XML file containing all the countries of
the world. I could creat one myself but if there are files available
it would save me some time. For example:

<xml>
<countries>
<country id="1">Afghanistan</country>
<country id="2">Albania</country>

Martin Honnen

mr_burns wrote:

> I there anywhere on the internet where I can obtain free XML files?
> What I am looking for is an XML file containing all the countries of
> the world. I could creat one myself but if there are files available
> it would save me some time. For example:
>
> <xml>
> <countries>
> <country id="1">Afghanistan</country>
> <country id="2">Albania</country>
> .
> .
> .
> <country id="150">Zimbabwe</country>
> </countries>

There are lists like this here:
http://www.nw.com/zone/iso-country-codes
it should not be too difficult to read and parse that and make it into XML.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Andy Dingley

On 26 Nov 2004 04:51:04 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (mr_burns) wrote:

>I there anywhere on the internet where I can obtain free XML files?

Find a free text file (of which there are rather more) and convert the
format. You might find it in XML, but the conversion is easy enough.

I suggest searching for "ISO 3166" for lists of recognised country
codes, or "ISO 639" for languages

--
Smert' spamionam

Jukka K. Korpela

(E-Mail Removed) (mr_burns) wrote:

> What I am looking for is an XML file containing all the countries of
> the world.

Do you mean names of the countries? In which language, and according to
which authority? There are disputes on what is a country, and also on
country names.

There is an official (ISO) standard on country _codes_, and the naming
authority's pages are at
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-serv...6ma/index.html
(I haven't checked whether they have the data in XML format.)

But names are a different issue; the names in ISO 3166 are just for
identifying the countries, not to be taken as official names.

However there are good news: The Unicode Consortium has Common Locale Data
Repository, which is intended to contain reliable information about a large
amount of localized data, such as country names, language names, time zone
names, etc., in a large number of languages, in an XML format, specifically
in LDML language.

I would say that CLDR, though with lots of unconfirmed data, is already the
best available general resource on such matters. It's Web site is
http://www.unicode.org/cldr/
and e.g. most of the current locale data for "en" (English, generically),
containing country names in the <territories> element, is at
http://oss.software.ibm.com/cvs/icu/...on/main/en.xml

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Manuel Collado

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (mr_burns) wrote:
>
>>What I am looking for is an XML file containing all the countries of
>>the world.

> There is an official (ISO) standard on country _codes_, and the naming
> authority's pages are at
> http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-serv...6ma/index.html
> (I haven't checked whether they have the data in XML format.)

They do have it:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-serv...6-1_xml_en.zip

--
To reply by e-mail, please remove the extra dot
in the given address: m.collado -> mcollado