Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > IDREF to external file

IDREF to external file

Neil Zanella

Hello,

Is it possible to specify an IDREF to an element to an external file
in a DTD? I really need this feature cause that way I can do a good
job of validating the XML files I am using.

Thanks,

Neil

Keith M. Corbett

"Neil Zanella" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to specify an IDREF to an element to an external file
> in a DTD? I really need this feature cause that way I can do a good
> job of validating the XML files I am using.

If what you want is to validate an XML instance containing IDREF attribute
values that refer to ID attribute values in a separate XML instance, then
no, that is not permitted by the XML spec. (See "Validity constraint:
IDREF")

You could cause a file containing ID attributes to be included in the XML
instance containing IDREF attributes. Depending on file sizes, this may or
may not be desirable for reasons such as performance or memory usage.

/kmc

Andy Dingley

On 6 Nov 2004 17:22:21 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Neil Zanella) wrote:

>Is it possible to specify an IDREF to an element to an external file
>in a DTD?

No, look at RDF for examples of the issues that arise from this. It's
not an easy problem to solve simply.

--
Smert' spamionam

Schema with ID/IDREF validates, but xml-file that uses it does not Eric Lilja XML 3 02-21-2007 08:50 PM
Different way to using idref with more than one XML file ?? jacquesh XML 2 11-08-2006 05:46 PM
is there a way to customize jaxb IDREF? Elhanan Java 0 03-30-2006 07:33 PM
JAXB and IdRef kevkev Java 3 05-19-2005 04:56 PM
[semi-OT] java objects persistence and XML id/idref rico Java 2 10-28-2003 02:12 AM

Advertisments