Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > simple translation to Excel?

simple translation to Excel?

Fabrice Cavarretta

I am using a specialized database software (for bibliography: EndNote)
that does export in XML.

I would like to be able to read that into a simple software, like
Excel or Access, in order to do manipulation of the data (that are not
allowed in EndNote).

Anyone knows a simple tool (utility) that would allow that. By the
way, I'm using Office 2002 (not XP/2003, which may have native XML
features!).

Best,

Fab

GIMME

Excel will do it ...

Do you know how to write VBA?

valued customer

> I would like to be able to read that into a simple software, like
> Excel or Access, in order to do manipulation of the data (that are not
> allowed in EndNote).

Unfortunately, I am not aware of a simple utility or tool that will
do what you are asking. There are a number of options available, however,
depending on how much programming you are able to do.

Option: convert EndNote XML into CSV
Since Excel can read CSV files, you are not required to convert
EndNote XML into MSFT XML in order to work with your data in a
spreadsheet. Moreover, you are likely to have better luck finding
a tool, or a programmer who can convert XML into CSV, since CSV
is not (AFAIK) a 'proprietary' format (whereas MSFT XML is).

Option: open your EndNote XML in an XML editor and do your work there

Option: Write a program or script in any language that can convert
You can write a program or a script that can read the EndNote
XML and convert it into MSFT XML Spreadsheet format yourself.
Although it is not a simple point-and-click solution, you can do
it if you know three things:
1) The specific version of EndNote XML you are working with
2) How to produce MSFT "Spreadsheet XML" for office 2002
3) How to write a script that converts part 1) into part 2)

If you Do a search on msdn.microsoft.com for:
"XML Spreadsheet (XMLSS) schema"
you will find the reference that enumerates how to generate XMLSS
files that will open in MSFT Excel.

This option is obviously the most complicated, especially if
you are not able to write a program that does this. Any language
capable of reading and writing XML should work.

I took a glance at some EndNote XML on the web, and it looks like
you will have to also decide *what part* of the EndNote XML you will
want to work with, since the whole EndNote XML file will probably not
translate easily into a single spreadsheet. (eg do you want to work
with the 'authors' section or something else?)

Fabrice Cavarretta

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (GIMME) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Excel will do it ...
>
> Do you know how to write VBA?

Nope. I was hoping there would be a tool to visualize an XML file
which represent a database, and there be able to interpret the schema
flexibly enough to be able to reuse it in other table/DB manager,
*without* having to program!

Let me know how "engaged" your VBA aproach would be...

Best,

Fab