Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > generating extremely large PDF documents with FOP

generating extremely large PDF documents with FOP

Ruchi Dayal

Hi,

I am using XSL-FO/FOP to generate PDF documents from XSLT.
The resultant PDF can run into thousands of pages and this is where
the whole problem is.
FOP cannot handle such large outputs.
Our initial solution was to manually feed limited records to FOP so
that it wouldn't "bomb out". However, this is getting messier as the
number of records themselves, increase.
Due to previous architectural decisions, it is also not possible to
switch to anything other than FOP.
Could somebody please enlighten me on this issue, as to whether this
is even possible with FOP or not. If yes, then what settings within
FOP do I need to tweak in order to get it to work.

Thanks,
Ruchi

Peter Gerstbach

Ruchi Dayal wrote:

> I am using XSL-FO/FOP to generate PDF documents from XSLT.
> The resultant PDF can run into thousands of pages and this is where
> the whole problem is.
> FOP cannot handle such large outputs.

> Could somebody please enlighten me on this issue, as to whether this
> is even possible with FOP or not. If yes, then what settings within
> FOP do I need to tweak in order to get it to work.

I've never tried using FOP with large documents, but you may be able to
split it up and concatenate it afterwards. iText [1] provides a
concat-tool for pdf.

Peter

[1] http://www.lowagie.com/iText/tutorial/ch13.html#tools