Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Nextpage Folio vs XML

Nextpage Folio vs XML

jao

My organization currently has a large collection of Vedic scriptures
and translation inside of the NextPage Folio product. The software has
served our purposes thus far, but I am interested in pulling the texts
out of Folio and into XML. Based on the research I've done, XML and
its related technologies can perform similar if not better indexing
and full text searching all in an international standard. I am of
course having a hard time convincing the managers. I was wondering if
anyone else could verify my research, espcially since I have not yet
developed a working prototype to demonstrate this.

Barnabas Davoti

jao wrote:
> My organization currently has a large collection of Vedic scriptures
> and translation inside of the NextPage Folio product. The software has
> served our purposes thus far, but I am interested in pulling the texts
> out of Folio and into XML. Based on the research I've done, XML and
> its related technologies can perform similar if not better indexing
> and full text searching all in an international standard. I am of
> course having a hard time convincing the managers. I was wondering if
> anyone else could verify my research, espcially since I have not yet
> developed a working prototype to demonstrate this.

I agree with you. It's time to forget about proprietary markups.
I need to convert some files from Folio FFF to XML/SGML.

This is the only tool what I've found:
http://www.nextpage.com/publishing/folio/folio-xml.htm

.... but I'd rather like to use a freeware tool to do it so, not willing to buy
this commercial solution. Or... I'll develop a conversion routine myself.

Good ideas are welcome!

--
Barnabas Davoti
Information Architect

jao

I also found this but haven't tried it
http://www.frank-it-beratung.de/doc2xml/english.html

You could convert from Folio to RTF, load it into Word and then
convert to TEI. I am sure this assumes a reasonable document
structure, but thats another story