Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Confusion over RSS2.0 Spec

Confusion over RSS2.0 Spec

Simon Johnson

I'm trying to create an RSS 2.0 [1] compliant feed but I'm meeting
some confusion over the pubDate element.

It clearly states next to the pubDate that the date should be
formatted in compliance with the specification given in RFC 822. They
even give the following date as an example:

"Sat, 07 Sep 2002 00:00:01 GMT"

However RFC 822 [2] clearly states that the year portion of the date
should contain two digits and not four. Which format is RSS 2.0
compliant. The four digit year or the two digit year?

Cheers,

Simon.

[1] - http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss
[2] - http://asg.web.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc822.html#sec-5

Andy Dingley

On 4 Aug 2004 02:23:35 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Simon Johnson)
wrote:

>I'm trying to create an RSS 2.0 [1] compliant feed

Why? RSS 2.0 is yet another rubbish format from that idiot Winer. Yet
again he shows that he doesn't understand how to write an accurate
specification that is free from contradictions.

Stick with RSS 1.0

Magnus Henriksson

"Simon Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> I'm trying to create an RSS 2.0 [1] compliant feed but I'm meeting
> some confusion over the pubDate element.
>
> It clearly states next to the pubDate that the date should be
> formatted in compliance with the specification given in RFC 822. They
> even give the following date as an example:
>
> "Sat, 07 Sep 2002 00:00:01 GMT"
>
> However RFC 822 [2] clearly states that the year portion of the date
> should contain two digits and not four. Which format is RSS 2.0
> compliant. The four digit year or the two digit year?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon.
>
> [1] - http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/tech/rss
> [2] - http://asg.web.cmu.edu/rfc/rfc822.html#sec-5

If you read the whole text about pubDate in [1] you will see that it says:

"All date-times in RSS conform to the Date and Time Specification of RFC
822, with the exception that the year may be expressed with two characters
or four characters (four preferred)."

Also, RFC 822 is superseded by RFC 2822 which specifies 4 digits for the
year.

// Magnus

Simon Johnson

> If you read the whole text about pubDate in [1] you will see that it says:
>
> "All date-times in RSS conform to the Date and Time Specification of RFC
> 822, with the exception that the year may be expressed with two characters
> or four characters (four preferred)."
>
> Also, RFC 822 is superseded by RFC 2822 which specifies 4 digits for the
> year.

This years RTFA(rticle) award goes too.... *drum roll*.. Simon.
Seriously, thanks for pointing out my stupidity.

Simon.