Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML as part of HTML in different browsers

XML as part of HTML in different browsers

Econ

XML as part of HTML in different browsers

In one folder are few files
- XML - file with data
- HTML - file with static text
- XSL - file for transformation XML data into HTML
- CSS - CascadeStyleSheet

+-HTML----------------------------+
| |
| some static text |
| blah blah |
| |
| +-XML---------------------+ |
| | | |
| | data which are presented| |
| | using XSL | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| +-------------------------+ |
| |
| some static text |
| blah blah |
| |
| +-XML---------------------+ |
| | | |
| | data which are presented| |
| | using XSL | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| +-------------------------+ |
| |
| |
| |
+---------------------------------+

Sample of this problem can be founded at http://www.open.hr/~ekonerg/xml

When I browse it with
- IE6 - it works fine
- opera - NO
- Netscape 6.2 - NO
- Mozilla FireFox- NO

I made it with MS IE 6.0 but I want to be browsable with other web browsers.
Idea is to put it on CD (some kind of CD Catalog) and make posible to anyone
who has any kind of web browser to view context.

Martin Honnen

Econ wrote:

> XML as part of HTML in different browsers
>
> In one folder are few files
> - XML - file with data
> - HTML - file with static text
> - XSL - file for transformation XML data into HTML
> - CSS - CascadeStyleSheet
>
> +-HTML----------------------------+
> | |
> | some static text |
> | blah blah |
> | |
> | +-XML---------------------+ |
> | | | |
> | | data which are presented| |
> | | using XSL | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | +-------------------------+ |
> | |
> | some static text |
> | blah blah |
> | |
> | +-XML---------------------+ |
> | | | |
> | | data which are presented| |
> | | using XSL | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | +-------------------------+ |
> | |
> | |
> | |
> +---------------------------------+
>
> Sample of this problem can be founded at http://www.open.hr/~ekonerg/xml
>
> When I browse it with
> - IE6 - it works fine
> - opera - NO
> - Netscape 6.2 - NO
> - Mozilla FireFox- NO
>
> I made it with MS IE 6.0 but I want to be browsable with other web browsers.
> Idea is to put it on CD (some kind of CD Catalog) and make posible to anyone
> who has any kind of web browser to view context.

Opera 7 doesn't have any support for XSLT 1.0 so with Opera there is no
way to do the XSLT transformation of the XML.
Mozilla 1.0 and later, Netscape 7.x, FireFox have XSLT 1.0 support but
scripting it is different to scripting it in IE, see the Sarissa library at
http://sarissa.sourceforge.net/
--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Martin Honnen

Econ wrote:

> XML as part of HTML in different browsers
>
> In one folder are few files
> - XML - file with data
> - HTML - file with static text
> - XSL - file for transformation XML data into HTML
> - CSS - CascadeStyleSheet
>
> +-HTML----------------------------+
> | |
> | some static text |
> | blah blah |
> | |
> | +-XML---------------------+ |
> | | | |
> | | data which are presented| |
> | | using XSL | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | +-------------------------+ |
> | |
> | some static text |
> | blah blah |
> | |
> | +-XML---------------------+ |
> | | | |
> | | data which are presented| |
> | | using XSL | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | | | |
> | +-------------------------+ |
> | |
> | |
> | |
> +---------------------------------+
>
> Sample of this problem can be founded at http://www.open.hr/~ekonerg/xml

You are using an <xml> element in HTML which is not defined in HTML 4.01
as supported by browsers like Opera 7 or Netscape 7 or Mozilla.

> When I browse it with
> - IE6 - it works fine
> - opera - NO
> - Netscape 6.2 - NO
> - Mozilla FireFox- NO

Opera doesn't have any XSLT 1.0 support so for Opera users you would
have to perform the transformation of XML to HTML before you deliver the
files.

Mozilla 1.0 and later, Netscape 7.x, FireFox all have XSLT 1.0 support
but scripting it is different to scripting XSLT in MSIE/Win, the Sarissa
library should ease your task, see
http://sarissa.sourceforge.net/

> I made it with MS IE 6.0 but I want to be browsable with other web browsers.
> Idea is to put it on CD (some kind of CD Catalog) and make posible to anyone
> who has any kind of web browser to view context.

but generally if you prepare a CD I see no reason why you could not do
your transformations of XML to HTML before you make the CD.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/