Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > seeking xml load/save library for c++ ... plus some other questions

seeking xml load/save library for c++ ... plus some other questions

Jim Williams

I have some questions aboyt XML, and it's use for file

I'll try and be as clear as possible - I apologise in advance if I
get a bit waffely. I also apologise if these groups (comp.text.xml,
com.lang.c++) are the wrong ones for these sorts of questions. If the
are, please point me in the right direction.

Enough apologising - on with the questions:
I'm working with a 3D engine, that displays a scene. I want to be
able to save the scene to a file, (and of course load the scene from
the saved file). It has been specified that XML is the required format
for the save files. The objects in the scene are stored in a tree
heirachy. The obvious method to use is to start at the top of the
tree, and traverse all it's branches, at each node (scene object)
saving the information to a file. So I'd need an XML load and XML save
function for every scene object. I think this is similar to object
serialization, but at a slightly higher level, as the information I'm
saving will generally be at a higher level than the C++ object - ie I
want to save my own (usually simplified) representation of the object.

Does the above make sense? I hope so!
Does it sound like a good place to use XML?
Has anyone done anything similar?

Can anyone reccomend any libraries to do the above XML loading and
saving? I'd it like to be as lightweight as possible. I don't want to
use the .NET xml libraries.

Thank you very much
Jim

http://www.usenet.com

John Torjo

> [snip]
> Does it sound like a good place to use XML?
> Has anyone done anything similar?

Robert Ramey (ramey at rrsd dot com) is working on a very good
[serialize] library.
It's quite generic.

If you really wish, you can implement XML on top of that. But I don't
think you need XML - you can use simple serialization (check out his
library).

Best,
John

John Torjo
Freelancer
-- http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all
-- http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/

Professional Logging Solution for FREE
-- http://www.torjo.com/code/logging.zip (logging - C++)
-- http://www.torjo.com/logview/ (viewing/filtering - Win32)
-- http://www.torjo.com/logbreak/ (debugging - Win32)
(source code available)

Ralph D. Ungermann

Jim Williams wrote:
> Can anyone reccomend any libraries to do the above XML loading and
> saving? I'd it like to be as lightweight as possible. I don't want to
> use the .NET xml libraries.

http://www.xmlsoftware.com/parsers.html

In my company, they use Xerces (http://xml.apache.org/). It's not
lightweight, but it definitely works (even under MS Windows!).

Ralph

Jonathan Turkanis

"John Torjo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > [snip]
> > Does it sound like a good place to use XML?
> > Has anyone done anything similar?

> Robert Ramey (ramey at rrsd dot com) is working on a very good
> [serialize] library.
> It's quite generic.
>
> If you really wish, you can implement XML on top of that. But I

don't
> think you need XML - you can use simple serialization (check out his
> library).

As I'm sure you know, John, Robert's library has been accepted into
boost, and should be in the next release, which is coming soon.

Also, his library supports XML archives, though I'm not sure it's what
the OP wanted, since I can't see his message on my newsreader.

Jonathan