Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Recommendations for books on Python and XML

Recommendations for books on Python and XML

enjoylife_95135

Hi,
I'm looking for recommendations for Python/XML books. Amazon.com
had 2 relevant books, Python&XML by Christopher Jones (from O'Reilly)
and XML processing with Python by Sean McGrath.The O'Reilly book
seemed to have better reviews.

But it concerns me that both books are rather old! Does anyone
have any newer references? Otherwise does the relative age of the
books (+3 years) really matter?

About myself, I'm a C and Perl programmer from a while back. I'm
learning Python and I want to get started with using it to manipulate
XML. I don't know much about XML either, but I'm familiar with HTML.

Thanks!

Arto Viitanen

enjoylife> Hi, I'm looking for recommendations for Python/XML
enjoylife> books. Amazon.com had 2 relevant books, Python&XML by Christopher
enjoylife> Jones (from O'Reilly) and XML processing with Python by Sean
enjoylife> McGrath.The O'Reilly book seemed to have better reviews.

enjoylife> But it concerns me that both books are rather old! Does anyone
enjoylife> have any newer references? Otherwise does the relative age of the
enjoylife> books (+3 years) really matter?

Python has SAX and DOM. Since they are language independent standards, you
could use any XML documentation for programming and then check some Python
manuals (like http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.4/lib/lib.html). The XML
documents are normally for Java, but I guess there is no big difference.

--
Arto V. Viitanen http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
University of Tampere, Department of Computer Sciences

Ron Stephens

I liked Python & XML, by Christopher A. Jones and Fred L. Drake, Jr.,
an O'Reilly book. I have posted a book review here
www.awaretek.com/book.html

I have not read the McGrath book, XML Processing with Python, but
scanning it in the bookstore it also looked pretty good.

Ron Stephens

Cameron Laird

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Ron Stephens <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I liked Python & XML, by Christopher A. Jones and Fred L. Drake, Jr.,
>an O'Reilly book. I have posted a book review here
>www.awaretek.com/book.html
>
>I have not read the McGrath book, XML Processing with Python, but
>scanning it in the bookstore it also looked pretty good.
>
>Ron Stephens

Sean's book *is* good, if dated, at least for some uses.
Some people with an interest in XML and Python will find
that *Text Processing in Python* <URL: http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/ >
is ideal: thorough, rich, interesting, and accurate.

enjoylife_95135

Cool. I went with your recommendation and picked up the Jones/Drake
book from the bookstore.
The customer reviews for the McGrath book on amazon.com weren't too
good BTW, which was another factor in my decision. The O'Reilly book
had 2 great reviews and 1 bad one.

Since you seem to enjoy reviewing books, I'd be interested in your
opinion of:
http://www.diveintopython.org

Thanks!

(E-Mail Removed) (Ron Stephens) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I liked Python & XML, by Christopher A. Jones and Fred L. Drake, Jr.,
> an O'Reilly book. I have posted a book review here
> www.awaretek.com/book.html
>
> I have not read the McGrath book, XML Processing with Python, but
> scanning it in the bookstore it also looked pretty good.
>
> Ron Stephens

Uche Ogbuji

(E-Mail Removed) (enjoylife_95135) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Cool. I went with your recommendation and picked up the Jones/Drake
> book from the bookstore.

In that case you might want to browse

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/11/py-xml.html

Also, I have a brief discussion of books at the start of

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/18/py.html

Overall, see also

http://www.xml.com/pub/at/24
http://uche.ogbuji.net/akara/nodes/2...ara/akara.xslt

Good luck.

--
Uche Ogbuji Fourthought, Inc.
http://uche.ogbuji.net http://4Suite.org http://fourthought.com

enjoylife_95135

Thank you so much for your input. I will be sure to follow your column
carefully. Lots of fun catching up to do now

Regards,

(E-Mail Removed) (Uche Ogbuji) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> (E-Mail Removed) (enjoylife_95135) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > Cool. I went with your recommendation and picked up the Jones/Drake
> > book from the bookstore.

> In that case you might want to browse
>
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/11/py-xml.html
>
> Also, I have a brief discussion of books at the start of
>
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/09/18/py.html
>
> Overall, see also
>
> http://www.xml.com/pub/at/24
> http://uche.ogbuji.net/akara/nodes/2...ara/akara.xslt
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> Uche Ogbuji Fourthought, Inc.
> http://uche.ogbuji.net http://4Suite.org http://fourthought.com
> Perspective on XML: Steady steps spell success with Google -
> http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9663
> Use XML namespaces with care -
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork.../x-namcar.html
> Managing XML libraries - http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9160
> Commentary on "Objects. Encapsulation. XML?" -
> http://www.adtmag.com/article.asp?id=9090
> Harold's Effective XML -
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm...x-think25.html
> A survey of XML standards -
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...rary/x-stand4/

questions and recommend books about refactoring of xml-schematas and the transformation of xml-documents HL XML 2 10-20-2006 04:41 PM
Design Patterns Books and Best Practices Books. Luis Esteban Valencia ASP .Net 4 07-01-2005 07:29 AM
Books, Books, Books... C++ 3 09-19-2004 10:11 PM
Recommendations for books on Python and XML enjoylife_95135 Python 6 08-02-2004 03:26 AM

Advertisments