Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > libxml needs to be tamed (standardize C/C++ XML library?)

libxml needs to be tamed (standardize C/C++ XML library?)

Generic Usenet Account

The C/C++ libxml library from xmfsoft (www.xmlsoft.org ---- GNOME
project) has in excess of 1000 APIs
(http://www.xmlsoft.org/APIfunctions.html). This excessively high
number of APIs is beyond the realm of any human being to grasp. IMHO,
an effort should be made to delineate the "public" APIs from the
"private" APIs, so that the application developers can forget about
the latter. Also, some guidance should be provided regarding the most
commonly used APIs, so that the developers are not overwhelmed by
relatively obscure features.

Better still, an initiative should be launched to standardize the
C/C++ XML library.

-Bhat

Michael Sweet

Generic Usenet Account wrote:
> The C/C++ libxml library from xmfsoft (www.xmlsoft.org ---- GNOME
> project) has in excess of 1000 APIs
> (http://www.xmlsoft.org/APIfunctions.html). This excessively high
> number of APIs is beyond the realm of any human being to grasp. IMHO,
> an effort should be made to delineate the "public" APIs from the
> "private" APIs, so that the application developers can forget about
> the latter. Also, some guidance should be provided regarding the most
> commonly used APIs, so that the developers are not overwhelmed by
> relatively obscure features.
>
> Better still, an initiative should be launched to standardize the
> C/C++ XML library.

Given the amount of things that libxml does, I'm not sure that
you will be able to "tame" it without removing significant
functionality.

<blatant-plug>

If you are looking for something simpler, perhaps my Mini-XML
library (1/40th the size of libxml) will do?

http://www.easysw.com/~mike/mxml/

</blatant-plug>

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products mike at easysw dot com
Printing Software for UNIX http://www.easysw.com

CBFalconer

Generic Usenet Account wrote:

> The C/C++ libxml library from xmfsoft (www.xmlsoft.org ---- GNOME
> project) has in excess of 1000 APIs
> (http://www.xmlsoft.org/APIfunctions.html). This excessively high
> number of APIs is beyond the realm of any human being to grasp. IMHO,

.... snip ...

Generic Usenet Account seems to insist on generating off-topic
trolling cross-posts, so I suggest that everybody simply PLONK
him/her/it.

Dan Pop

In <(E-Mail Removed)> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Generic Usenet Account) writes:

>Better still, an initiative should be launched to standardize the
>C/C++ XML library.

Launch it yourself, by becoming the leader of the project.

Dan
--
Dan Pop
DESY Zeuthen, RZ group