Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > present XML file on Client

present XML file on Client

Todd

I have been given an XML file that I need to burn to a CD with an
application that runs on the client machine, meaning Client Side
Scripting.

What they want to see is a search page, with 1 textbox that will allow
the user to search on one of the attributes of the XML file. Based on
that search, the output would be several of the chold nodes from the
XML file with one of them being a hyperlink to the details of that
entire node.

I have been looking at either DHTML or XHTML and I would really like
your advice on how to handle this.

thx
-t

Martin Honnen

Todd wrote:

> I have been given an XML file that I need to burn to a CD with an
> application that runs on the client machine, meaning Client Side
> Scripting.
>
> What they want to see is a search page, with 1 textbox that will allow
> the user to search on one of the attributes of the XML file. Based on
> that search, the output would be several of the chold nodes from the
> XML file with one of them being a hyperlink to the details of that
> entire node.
>
> I have been looking at either DHTML or XHTML and I would really like
> your advice on how to handle this.

You could built a HTML page that loads the XML file using MSXML with
MSIE/Win and XMLHttpRequest with Netscape/Mozilla. Then you can use DOM
scripting or even DOM XPath scripting to search the XML and maybe XSLT
to transform the XML data to HTML to render in the browser.

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/