Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML processor treatement of entities

XML processor treatement of entities

sylvain.loiseau

It's not so clear for me, in the xml spec, which is the required
behaviour of an XML processor for entities :

- The characters entities (predefined, decimal and hexadecimal) must
be expended and treated as characters content ("Numeric character
references MAY also be used; they are expanded immediately when
recognized and MUST be treated as character data")
- but what for the other entities (excluding parameters and unparsed
entities ?): is there a case where they are not expended and provided
in the text node content, if they are declared externaly or if the
processor is not validating ?

Thanks,
Sylvain

Richard Tobin

In article <c5s3d7$nf0$(E-Mail Removed)>,
sylvain.loiseau <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>- but what for the other entities (excluding parameters and unparsed
>entities ?): is there a case where they are not expended and provided
>in the text node content, if they are declared externaly or if the
>processor is not validating ?

Internal entities must be expanded. External entities must be
expanded by validating processors, but need not be by non-validating
processors.

There is also the possibility of externally-defined internal entities,
that is, internal entities defined in the external subset.
Non-validating parsers need not have read the external subset, and if
they haven't seen the declaration they can't even tell whether a
reference is to an internal or external entity, let alone expand it.

-- Richard