Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Validating XML document using Xerces-J

Validating XML document using Xerces-J

Kevin Partin

I have downloaded the latest Xerces-J files from Apache.org and am
trying to use them to validate an xml data file against a schema that
I wrote. Can someone please provide me with the java command line that
I would need to invoke in order to perform this validation? For the
life of me I can't find any documentation on this (or at least it is
not readily apparent) on the Apache Xerces WWW site.

I have also downloaded and installed the latest Java SDK from Sun. I
am doing this under Linux.

Thank you,

Kevin

Martin Honnen

Kevin Partin wrote:

> I have downloaded the latest Xerces-J files from Apache.org and am
> trying to use them to validate an xml data file against a schema that
> I wrote. Can someone please provide me with the java command line that
> I would need to invoke in order to perform this validation? For the
> life of me I can't find any documentation on this (or at least it is
> not readily apparent) on the Apache Xerces WWW site.

I don't think there is a command line tool, read the FAQ
http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xs.html
that tells you that you can use the normal Java SAX or DOM parsing APIs
with the Xerces parser.

If you want a tool that helps you to validate an XML file against a
schema file then maybe jedit (from http://www.jedit.org/) helps, it it
an editor that can install Xerces as a plugin and then allows editing
and validating XML files.
--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/