Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > utf-8 chars lost via ftp?

utf-8 chars lost via ftp?

isillight

Greetings

I have a program running on a solaris system
that reads xml in utf-8 from files - it parses
and validates blah blah blah

These files come from various systems some of
which are mainframe, as400, unix, peecee, and others

The question is whether or not it is possible
to loose the utf-8 encoded chars ( being replaced
with the local char set ) via ftp?

I hope this is the correct group

Julian Reschke

isillight wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I have a program running on a solaris system
> that reads xml in utf-8 from files - it parses
> and validates blah blah blah
>
> These files come from various systems some of
> which are mainframe, as400, unix, peecee, and others
>
> The question is whether or not it is possible
> to loose the utf-8 encoded chars ( being replaced
> with the local char set ) via ftp?
>
> I hope this is the correct group

It shouldn't happen as long as you use binary transfer mode.