Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XSLT Sorting this XML...

XSLT Sorting this XML...

Philipp Lenssen

I have this XML file which I would like to XSLT-sort based on the
string contained within the item-children elements using basic MSXML
(no recent version of IIS, so it might be an outdated MSXML -- pretty
sure not MSXML4, though tips on how to do it with that are appreciated
too):

----------- Translation Dictionary (German) ----
<items>
<item id="4">
<Deutsch>Registrieren</Deutsch>
<Englisch-GB>Register</Englisch-GB>
<Englisch-US>Register</Englisch-US>
<Französisch>S'enregistrer</Französisch>
<Italienisch>Registra</Italienisch>
<Spanisch>Darse de alta</Spanisch>
<Portugiesisch></Portugiesisch>
<Niederländisch>Registreren</Niederländisch>
<Kommentar></Kommentar>
</item>
<item id="5">
<Deutsch>Login</Deutsch>
<Englisch-GB>Login</Englisch-GB>
<Englisch-US>Login</Englisch-US>
<Französisch>Login</Französisch>
<Italienisch>Login</Italienisch>
<Spanisch>Inicio de sesión</Spanisch>
<Portugiesisch></Portugiesisch>
<Niederländisch>Login</Niederländisch>
<Kommentar></Kommentar>
</item>
<!-- ... and many more item-elements -->
</items>

Thanks for any tips!

(P.S.: Am always disappointed by lack of XPath sorting features. It's a
hassle compared to e.g. SQL. Last time I had to implement an object
with an object sorter to sort some integers in XML. I also tried
XSLT-sorting from examples found online but often ran into troubles, I
believe it also has to do with limited capabilities of basic-MSXML as
installed with older versions of IIS.)

Martin Honnen

Philipp Lenssen wrote:

> I have this XML file which I would like to XSLT-sort based on the
> string contained within the item-children elements using basic MSXML
> (no recent version of IIS, so it might be an outdated MSXML -- pretty
> sure not MSXML4, though tips on how to do it with that are appreciated
> too):
>
> ----------- Translation Dictionary (German) ----
> <items>
> <item id="4">
> <Deutsch>Registrieren</Deutsch>
> <Englisch-GB>Register</Englisch-GB>
> <Englisch-US>Register</Englisch-US>
> <Französisch>S'enregistrer</Französisch>
> <Italienisch>Registra</Italienisch>
> <Spanisch>Darse de alta</Spanisch>
> <Portugiesisch></Portugiesisch>
> <Niederländisch>Registreren</Niederländisch>
> <Kommentar></Kommentar>
> </item>
> <item id="5">
> <Deutsch>Login</Deutsch>
> <Englisch-GB>Login</Englisch-GB>
> <Englisch-US>Login</Englisch-US>
> <Französisch>Login</Französisch>
> <Italienisch>Login</Italienisch>
> <Spanisch>Inicio de sesión</Spanisch>
> <Portugiesisch></Portugiesisch>
> <Niederländisch>Login</Niederländisch>
> <Kommentar></Kommentar>
> </item>
> <!-- ... and many more item-elements -->
> </items>

Assuming you want to copy all nodes while ordering the children of
<item> by their content the following is an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet that
does that:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xslutput method="xml" indent="yes" encoding="ISO-8859-1" />

<xsl:template match="item">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:apply-templates select="@*" />
<xsl:apply-templates select="*">
<xsl:sort data-type="text" order="ascending" />
</xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="@* | node()">
<xsl:copy>
<xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()" />
</xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

The result of the example file transformed with Xalan is

<items>
<item id="4">
<Portugiesisch/>
<Kommentar/>
<Spanisch>Darse de alta</Spanisch>
<Englisch-GB>Register</Englisch-GB>
<Englisch-US>Register</Englisch-US>
<Italienisch>Registra</Italienisch>
<Niederländisch>Registreren</Niederländisch>
<Deutsch>Registrieren</Deutsch>
<Französisch>S'enregistrer</Französisch>
</item>
<item id="5">
<Portugiesisch/>
<Kommentar/>
<Spanisch>Inicio de sesión</Spanisch>
<Deutsch>Login</Deutsch>
<Englisch-GB>Login</Englisch-GB>
<Englisch-US>Login</Englisch-US>
<Französisch>Login</Französisch>
<Italienisch>Login</Italienisch>
<Niederländisch>Login</Niederländisch>
</item>
<!-- ... and many more item-elements -->
</items>

As for MSXML, as far as I know MSXML 3.0 is the first to support XSLT
1.0 (which is indentified by the namespace URI
http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform). Earlier versions only support
some working draft (WD) with a different namespace and different
elements and semantics. I stronly suggest to get your ISP to install at
least MSXML 3.0 if you want to do XSLT 1.0 transformations.
--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Philipp Lenssen

Martin Honnen wrote:

> Philipp Lenssen wrote:

> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
> > <items>
> > <item id="4">
> > <Deutsch>Registrieren</Deutsch>
> > <Englisch-GB>Register</Englisch-GB>
> > <Englisch-US>Register</Englisch-US>
> > <Französisch>S'enregistrer</Französisch>
> > <Italienisch>Registra</Italienisch>
> > <Spanisch>Darse de alta</Spanisch>
> > <Portugiesisch></Portugiesisch>
> > <Niederländisch>Registreren</Niederländisch>
> > <Kommentar></Kommentar>
> > </item>
> > <item id="5">
> > <Deutsch>Login</Deutsch>
> > <Englisch-GB>Login</Englisch-GB>
> > <Englisch-US>Login</Englisch-US>
> > <Französisch>Login</Französisch>
> > <Italienisch>Login</Italienisch>
> > <Spanisch>Inicio de sesión</Spanisch>
> > <Portugiesisch></Portugiesisch>
> > <Niederländisch>Login</Niederländisch>
> > <Kommentar></Kommentar>
> > </item>
> > <!-- ... and many more item-elements -->
> > </items>

> Assuming you want to copy all nodes while ordering the children of
> <item> by their content the following is an XSLT 1.0 stylesheet that
> does that:

I'm sorry, I should have made this clear: I want to sort by a certain
language (the children of "item"-element are language-names in German).
For example, I pass the parameter "Deutsch", and then it should sort
alphabetically by the "Deutsch"-element's text-content. Same for e.g.
"Italienisch". I will keep your current solution for another day.
Thanks for your help so far!

Mats Kindahl

"Philipp Lenssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Martin Honnen wrote:
>
> > Philipp Lenssen wrote:

> > > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
> > > <items>
> > > <item id="4">
> > > <Deutsch>Registrieren</Deutsch>
> > > <Englisch-GB>Register</Englisch-GB>
> > > <Englisch-US>Register</Englisch-US>
> > > <Französisch>S'enregistrer</Französisch>
> > > <Italienisch>Registra</Italienisch>
> > > <Spanisch>Darse de alta</Spanisch>
> > > <Portugiesisch></Portugiesisch>
> > > <Niederländisch>Registreren</Niederländisch>
> > > <Kommentar></Kommentar>
> > > </item>
> > > <item id="5">
> > > <Deutsch>Login</Deutsch>
> > > <Englisch-GB>Login</Englisch-GB>
> > > <Englisch-US>Login</Englisch-US>
> > > <Französisch>Login</Französisch>
> > > <Italienisch>Login</Italienisch>
> > > <Spanisch>Inicio de sesión</Spanisch>
> > > <Portugiesisch></Portugiesisch>
> > > <Niederländisch>Login</Niederländisch>
> > > <Kommentar></Kommentar>
> > > </item>
> > > <!-- ... and many more item-elements -->
> > > </items>

[snip]

> I'm sorry, I should have made this clear: I want to sort by a certain
> language (the children of "item"-element are language-names in German).
> For example, I pass the parameter "Deutsch", and then it should sort
> alphabetically by the "Deutsch"-element's text-content. Same for e.g.
> "Italienisch". I will keep your current solution for another day.
> Thanks for your help so far!

I'm not familiar with MSXML (I'm using Xalan), but something like this
should work...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlnssl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
<xslutput method="xml" indent="yes" encoding="ISO-8859-1"/>

<xsl:template match="items">
<xsl:apply-templates select="item">
<xsl:sort select="item/Deutsch"/>
</xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:template>

<!-- insert all other templates to process the items -->

</xsl:stylesheet>

Best wishes,
Mats Kindahl
--
IAR Systems in Uppsala, Sweden.

Any opinions expressed are my own and not those of my company.

Spam prevention: contact me at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) or
(E-Mail Removed), removing the *NO SPAM* from the address.