Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XML Schema -- ignore whitespace between elements?

XML Schema -- ignore whitespace between elements?

Curtiss Howard

I'm using Xerces 2.4.0 and I've got a schema (converted from a DTD) for
my XML documents. However, Xerces will NOT ignore the whitespace
between elements. These are the options I've set for the parser:

* Validate
* Do schema validation
* Do NOT include ignorable whitespace

From all I've managed to find online, I shouldn't be having any
problems. If I have my document use the DTD, the parser doesn't include
whitespace (text nodes) between elements in the DOM tree; if I use my
schema, whitespace is included. Is there something I'm missing? Old
newsgroups postings I've found where people are having the same problem
generally have someone suggesting that they "make a schema and tell
the parser to get rid of ignorable whitespace", which is exactly what
I'm doing...

Thanks,

Curtiss Howard