Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Re: Generic WSDL Question

Re: Generic WSDL Question

Sandy Dunlop

jm wrote:

> I am new to WSDL and familiar with XML, but have used them very
> little. What I am used to is ASP and now ASP .NET using a datagrid or
> something like that.
>
> What I am trying to find out is when an introduction to WSDL says
> "after building a web service, one publishes a WSDL to tell users how
> to get to the service..." how does one create a web service? If I use
> WSDL, does that mean I don't have ASP .NET pages anymore and do it in
> something else?
>
> Thanks in advance for helping me put the puzzle together.

With ASP.NET the web service would most likely be created using Visual
Studio .Net, and would be published on an IIS web server. There are many
other ways of creating a web service including Apache AXIS, and Perl
SOAP::Lite.

If you're currently using ASP.Net and you want to make your WSDL file
avaialble to people, you'll still be using ASP.Net. WSDL isn't changing the
way you implement your web service at the server side - it's only there to
aid development of client applications.

One of the normal ways of accessing the WSDL document for your web service
is by entering the address in a browser, and adding ?WSDL to the end of it,
e.g.: http://myserver/myservice.aspx?WSDL

I can recommend the book Programming Web Services With SOAP to help you get
started creating web services:

<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progwebsoap/>

--
sandy

jm

Sandy Dunlop <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bpd2gh$1vm$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> jm wrote:
>
> > I am new to WSDL and familiar with XML, but have used them very
> > little. What I am used to is ASP and now ASP .NET using a datagrid or
> > something like that.
> >
> > What I am trying to find out is when an introduction to WSDL says
> > "after building a web service, one publishes a WSDL to tell users how
> > to get to the service..." how does one create a web service? If I use
> > WSDL, does that mean I don't have ASP .NET pages anymore and do it in
> > something else?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for helping me put the puzzle together.

> With ASP.NET the web service would most likely be created using Visual
> Studio .Net, and would be published on an IIS web server. There are many
> other ways of creating a web service including Apache AXIS, and Perl
> SOAP::Lite.
>
> If you're currently using ASP.Net and you want to make your WSDL file
> avaialble to people, you'll still be using ASP.Net. WSDL isn't changing the
> way you implement your web service at the server side - it's only there to
> aid development of client applications.
>
> One of the normal ways of accessing the WSDL document for your web service
> is by entering the address in a browser, and adding ?WSDL to the end of it,
> e.g.: http://myserver/myservice.aspx?WSDL
>
> I can recommend the book Programming Web Services With SOAP to help you get
> started creating web services:
>
> <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/progwebsoap/>

But here's where I am getting lost. Why would I use a WSDL, if I can
just have the client call the .aspx file? Or is this some sort of
"invisible" way that applications can call the .aspx and get the data
that the .aspx returns for usage in their own programs?