Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > <br/> and xslt

loveNUNO

I'am using xt to convert my xml with an xsl to html.
When i use <br /> in my xsl document in turns into <br> in the html.
So, How am I get <br/> TAG in output(html) like xhtml?

Nick Kew

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Oliver M. Haynold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong,

Consider yourself corrected.

> but HTML 4.01 has a SHORTTAG YES clause in its
> SGML Declaration.

Yes. That's a bug in the spec (if we accept the premise that the spec
relates to the Real World).

> Doesn't that mean that constructs like <br/> _are_
> allowed,

Sometimes.

> and that a browser that doesn't read them just isn't fully
> conformant?

A browser that fails to display a ">" after the <br> is not fully conformant.
At least in those places where it's technically legal.

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

Patrick TJ McPhee

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Oliver M. Haynold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
% On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:08:45 +0100, Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:
% > Except that <br> is valid in HTML, while <br/> is not.
%
% Correct me if I'm wrong, but HTML 4.01 has a SHORTTAG YES clause in its
% SGML Declaration. Doesn't that mean that constructs like <br/> _are_
% allowed, and that a browser that doesn't read them just isn't fully
% conformant?

Let me reword my previous statement. <br> does not mean the same thing
as <br/> in HTML. <br/> does not mean the same thing in xHTML as it
does in HTML.

--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York Canada

Patrick TJ McPhee

In article <gIeub.226716$HS4.1974234@attbi_s01>,
Bob Foster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
% "Patrick TJ McPhee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
% news:bp0agr$2ib$(E-Mail Removed)...
% > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
% > Oliver M. Haynold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
% > % On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:08:45 +0100, Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:
% > % > Except that <br> is valid in HTML, while <br/> is not.
% > %
% > % Correct me if I'm wrong, but HTML 4.01 has a SHORTTAG YES clause in its
% > % SGML Declaration. Doesn't that mean that constructs like <br/> _are_
% > % allowed, and that a browser that doesn't read them just isn't fully
% > % conformant?
% >
% > Let me reword my previous statement. <br> does not mean the same thing
% > as <br/> in HTML. <br/> does not mean the same thing in xHTML as it
% > does in HTML.
%
% Don't just leave us hanging. What's the diff?
%
% I don't know of any modern browser that a) doesn't accept <br/> or b)
% appears to treat it different than <br>, but maybe there's some subtlety I'm
% missing wrt b.

There's no subtlety here. As has been pointed out, <br/> in HTML is the
same as <br>>. It may be that there's no browser which gets it right,
but that's just saying that nobody really gives a **** about standards,
and that it doesn't matter whether you adhere to them, so long as it works.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York Canada

Bob Foster

"Patrick TJ McPhee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpdknp$ol4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <gIeub.226716$HS4.1974234@attbi_s01>,
> Bob Foster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> % "Patrick TJ McPhee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> % news:bp0agr$2ib$(E-Mail Removed)...
> % > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> % > Oliver M. Haynold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> % > % On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:08:45 +0100, Patrick TJ McPhee wrote:
> % > % > Except that <br> is valid in HTML, while <br/> is not.
> % > %
> % > % Correct me if I'm wrong, but HTML 4.01 has a SHORTTAG YES clause in

its
> % > % SGML Declaration. Doesn't that mean that constructs like <br/> _are_
> % > % allowed, and that a browser that doesn't read them just isn't fully
> % > % conformant?
> % >
> % > Let me reword my previous statement. <br> does not mean the same thing
> % > as <br/> in HTML. <br/> does not mean the same thing in xHTML as it
> % > does in HTML.
> %
> % Don't just leave us hanging. What's the diff?
> %
> % I don't know of any modern browser that a) doesn't accept <br/> or b)
> % appears to treat it different than <br>, but maybe there's some subtlety

I'm
> % missing wrt b.
>
> There's no subtlety here. As has been pointed out, <br/> in HTML is the
> same as <br>>. It may be that there's no browser which gets it right,
> but that's just saying that nobody really gives a **** about standards,
> and that it doesn't matter whether you adhere to them, so long as it

works.

If one gave a **** about standards one would not write, in two consecutive
postings:

Bob Foster

Johannes Koch

Bob Foster wrote:
> If one gave a **** about standards one would not write, in two consecutive
> postings:

Could you please read and quote properly? What Patrick did write was:

> "Patrick TJ McPhee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bpdknp$ol4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>As has been pointed out, <br/> in HTML is the
>>same as <br>>.

Note the '>>' after '<br'. So when rendered, the second should be a line
break and a '>' character and not a line break only.

--
Johannes Koch
(Te Deum, 4th cent.)

Bob Foster

I do my best. If I misquoted, I apologize. The "give a ****" in his response
kinda set me off.

Bob

"Johannes Koch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpi1p9$1opa66$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Bob Foster wrote:
> > If one gave a **** about standards one would not write, in two

consecutive
> > postings:

> Could you please read and quote properly? What Patrick did write was:
>
> > "Patrick TJ McPhee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bpdknp$ol4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>As has been pointed out, <br/> in HTML is the
> >>same as <br>>.

> Note the '>>' after '<br'. So when rendered, the second should be a line
> break and a '>' character and not a line break only.
>
> --
> Johannes Koch
> In te domine speravi; non confundar in aeternum.
> (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

Patrick TJ McPhee

In article <P2pvb.202849$275.751333@attbi_s53>,
Bob Foster <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
% I do my best. If I misquoted, I apologize. The "give a ****" in his response
% kinda set me off.

I'm sorry if I distressed you. I was giving my opionion of the `it
works, so what's the problem?' line of reasoning -- it really depends on
your attitude towards standards compliance.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York Canada