Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > XSLT reference.

XSLT reference.

Brett conklin

I would like to not use the google groups as a crutch in my XSLT
journey. What is the best xslt reference out there? Is it a book? Is
it a web site? I am finding that I can come up with nearly 2-3
questions a day about XSLT. I would like to RTFM instead of bugging
you guys.

Thanks
Brett

Dimitre Novatchev

"Brett conklin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I would like to not use the google groups as a crutch in my XSLT
> journey. What is the best xslt reference out there? Is it a book? Is
> it a web site? I am finding that I can come up with nearly 2-3
> questions a day about XSLT. I would like to RTFM instead of bugging
> you guys.

Good decision!

Michael Kay's "XSLT Programmer's Reference" is the undisputed must-have XSLT
reference book.

I also bought for my wife Jeni Tennison's book "Beginning XSLT".

=====
Cheers,

Dimitre Novatchev.

Andy Fish

of course the most definitive reference is the spec at
http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt

I can also recommend the Jeni Tennison book. It is more a step-by-step guide
than a reference, but don't be put off by the title 'beginning xml' - this
is no dummies guide and has a lot of reference information in it.

"Brett conklin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I would like to not use the google groups as a crutch in my XSLT
> journey. What is the best xslt reference out there? Is it a book? Is
> it a web site? I am finding that I can come up with nearly 2-3
> questions a day about XSLT. I would like to RTFM instead of bugging
> you guys.
>
> Thanks
> Brett
> (E-Mail Removed)

Karanjit Siyan

"Dimitre Novatchev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bm03dt$h5rnb$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>...
> "Brett conklin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I would like to not use the google groups as a crutch in my XSLT
> > journey. What is the best xslt reference out there? Is it a book? Is
> > it a web site? I am finding that I can come up with nearly 2-3
> > questions a day about XSLT. I would like to RTFM instead of bugging
> > you guys.

There are some handy quick reference charts on XSLT and other related
topics on www.kinetics-corp.com. Select the downloads button and you
will see the PDF reference sheets.

Bob Foster

Both Michael Kay's and Jeni Tennison's book already mentioned are good
choices. Jeni recommends Michael's book as a reference, but she is a
generous person. I would read anything she wrote.

XSLT is not easy to learn. For starters, there are two languages: the outer
XML syntax language of templates and constructors, and the inner XPath
language used for matching, expression evaluation, etc. Perhaps for this
reason, it is an indisputable fact that, while you can do anything with
XSLT, most people do not find it obvious how.

If you want online references, here are some in both categories:

Microsoft has a decent "just the facts" reference breakdown:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...intro_6g53.asp

On this page there are links to both XSLT and XPath references. You'll need
both.

Jeni Tennison's XSLT website has lots of "how to" material.

http://www.jenitennison.com/xslt/

The ultimate "do anything" reference has to be Dimitre Novatchev's work on
functional programming in XSLT:

http://www.topxml.com/xsl/articles/fp/

This is for people who have a solid background in both functional
programming and XSLT; not the place to learn either one.

Finally, comp.text.xml is not the best place to ask XSLT questions. You
should subscribe to xsl-list

http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/

At first, just read the traffic going by, esp. Michael Kay's and Jeni
Tennison's responses.

Bob Foster

Brett conklin

Thanks for all of the advice. I will buy both.

Thanks
Brett