Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > newbie: can you describe what is that ?

newbie: can you describe what is that ?

luk

Can any1 tell me what is this in XML ??? What does the elements mean?

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<!ELEMENT WapPushRequest (Header,(WapPush?))>
<!ATTLIST WapPushRequest Version CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ELEMENT Header (PartnerName,PartnerPassword)>
<!ELEMENT PartnerName (#PCDATA)>
<!ELEMENT PartnerPassword (#PCDATA)>

regards
Lukasz From Poland

Johannes Koch

luk wrote:
> Can any1 tell me what is this in XML ??? What does the elements mean?
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
> <!ELEMENT WapPushRequest (Header,(WapPush?))>
> <!ATTLIST WapPushRequest Version CDATA #REQUIRED>
> <!ELEMENT Header (PartnerName,PartnerPassword)>
> <!ELEMENT PartnerName (#PCDATA)>
> <!ELEMENT PartnerPassword (#PCDATA)>

Looks like a Document Type Definition (DTD) for XML documents like

<WapPushRequest Version="1.0">
<Header>
<PartnerName>foo</PartnerName>
<PartnerPassword>bar</PartnerPassword>
</Header>
</WapPushRequest>

Btw, the DTD lacks an definition part for the WapPush element.
--
Johannes Koch
(Te Deum, 4th cent.)

luk

And what is the DTD and what is it for ???

Użytkownik Johannes Koch <(E-Mail Removed)> w wiadomooci do grup
dyskusyjnych napisał:biicf6$9l1sq$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> luk wrote:
> > Can any1 tell me what is this in XML ??? What does the elements mean?
> >
> > <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
> > <!ELEMENT WapPushRequest (Header,(WapPush?))>
> > <!ATTLIST WapPushRequest Version CDATA #REQUIRED>
> > <!ELEMENT Header (PartnerName,PartnerPassword)>
> > <!ELEMENT PartnerName (#PCDATA)>
> > <!ELEMENT PartnerPassword (#PCDATA)>

> Looks like a Document Type Definition (DTD) for XML documents like
>
> <WapPushRequest Version="1.0">
> <Header>
> <PartnerName>foo</PartnerName>
> <PartnerPassword>bar</PartnerPassword>
> </Header>
> </WapPushRequest>
>
> Btw, the DTD lacks an definition part for the WapPush element.
> --
> Johannes Koch
> In te domine speravi; non confundar in aeternum.
> (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

Johannes Koch

luk wrote:
> And what is the DTD and what is it for ???

It defines the document type (which elements may appear, in which order,
with which attributes, ...). It can be used for editing and validating XML.
--
Johannes Koch
(Te Deum, 4th cent.)

luk

thanks

Użytkownik Johannes Koch <(E-Mail Removed)> w wiadomooci do grup
dyskusyjnych napisał:biijos$98jdn$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> luk wrote:
> > And what is the DTD and what is it for ???

> It defines the document type (which elements may appear, in which order,
> with which attributes, ...). It can be used for editing and validating

XML.
> --
> Johannes Koch
> In te domine speravi; non confundar in aeternum.
> (Te Deum, 4th cent.)

Guy Lépine

"luk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:biia4u$hbr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can any1 tell me what is this in XML ??? What does the elements mean?
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>

not quite sure why the xml tag is present but, the remaining are document
type definition (DTD) tags:

> <!ELEMENT WapPushRequest (Header,(WapPush?))>

<WapPushRequest> requires one <Header> and zero or more <WapPush>

> <!ATTLIST WapPushRequest Version CDATA #REQUIRED>

<WapPushRequest> has a required character data attribute Version

> <!ELEMENT Header (PartnerName,PartnerPassword)>

<Header> requires elements <PartnerName> and <PartnerPassword>

> <!ELEMENT PartnerName (#PCDATA)>

<PartnerName> is a parsed character data

> <!ELEMENT PartnerPassword (#PCDATA)>

<PartnerPassword> is a parsed character data

for more info on DTD basics, see http://www.w3schools.com/dtd/

> regards
> Lukasz From Poland

Guy Lepine