Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Re: VoiceXML: DTMF field does not time out

Re: VoiceXML: DTMF field does not time out

Jeff Kusnitz

Seems like, as you appear to be using Nuance's VoiceXML platform, you might
want to ask them, no? Looking at your code, I'd guess that after N seconds
of waiting for input, a noinput event is thrown, and then you wait again, a
noinput is thrown, etc. But I've got no experience with Nuance, so I
couldn't be certain (and I'd expect audio to accompany the noinput)

Jeff

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
> I am starting with VoiceXML and require some help. If this is not the
> right forum, please feel free to suggest more appropriate resources.
>
> My problem: I have a script that asks for a 5-digit code. Input is
> required in DTMF. The problem is: if the user does not enter anything,
> the dialogue just waits forever. This keeps the line tied up.
>
> My script:
>
> <!DOCTYPE vxml PUBLIC "-//Nuance/DTD VoiceXML 2.0//EN"
> "http://voicexml.nuance.com/dtd/nuancevoicexml-2-0.dtd">
> <vxml version="2.0">
> <form id="form_name">
> <block>
> <audio src="nl/welcome.wav"/>
> </block>
> <var name="dnis" expr="session.connection.local.uri"/>
> <var name="cli" expr="session.connection.remote.uri"/>
> <field name="docid" type="digits?length=5">
> <filled>
> <submit next="access.php" namelist="dnis cli docid"
> method="get"/>
> </filled>
> </field>
> </form>
> </vxml>
>
> I have tried setting the timeout explicitly using:
> <vxml version="2.0">
> <property name="timeout" value="10s"/>
>
> This does not make a difference.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks for your help!
> Mike.

Jeff Kusnitz

I have no idea where a nuance-specific forum might be (someplace on
nuance.com perhaps?) The change to your voicexml looks fine, though I would
have to wonder why you have a field that doesn't initially prompt for input.

Jeff

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Jeff,
>
> Thanks. I am building this application via a company that is providing
> the platform as a hosting service. The hosting company does not
> provide a lot of service, and I have no direct contact with Nuance. Do
> you know of a Nuance forum?
> As to your suggestions, I tried modifying the script as shown below,
> but it has the same result. Questions:
> 1. Is the modification OK? The noinput tag in the right place?
> 2. If a timeout is thrown, I would expect the script to end and the
> line to be hung up. You say:
> > Looking at your code, I'd guess that after N seconds
> > of waiting for input, a noinput event is thrown, and then you wait

again, a
> > noinput is thrown, etc.

> I do not understand this. Would a loop be initiated in some way? It
> obviously does not re-start the script, because I only get the prompt
> once.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> *** MODIFIED SCRIPT ***
> <!DOCTYPE vxml PUBLIC "-//Nuance/DTD VoiceXML 2.0//EN"
> "http://voicexml.nuance.com/dtd/nuancevoicexml-2-0.dtd">
> <vxml version="2.0">
> <form id="form_name">
> <block>
> <audio src="nl/welcome.wav"/>
> </block>
> <var name="dnis" expr="session.connection.local.uri"/>
> <var name="cli" expr="session.connection.remote.uri"/>
> <field name="docid" type="digits?length=5">
> <filled>
> <submit next="access.php" namelist="dnis cli docid"
> method="get"/>
> </filled>
> <noinput>
> <prompt>no input received here.</prompt>
> </noinput>
> </field>
> </form>
> </vxml>