Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > My first Web Service

My first Web Service

Liza

Hello,

can you guys help me out here....?

this is part of my masters degree and hence is very important to
me..... my supervisor doesn't seem to be too interested in helping me
and infact is on holiday as we speak.

ok here's my question.....

can a web page be a client of a web service? if so....what language
would the web page be written in? can it be a normal html page, or
does it have to be written in xml or maybe even a server scripting
language?

assuming that a web page can interact with a web service......how
would the page locate the interface of the service(assuming this had
been direct publication of the interface) ? and how would it go
through the interface and make sense of it in order to bind the web
service so that it can then use it?

thanks for all help rendered.

Liza

Dan

the question "how do i create a web service?" is a broad question.

to answer your first question - yes...a web page can access a web serivice.
The web service would be harbored in a web server for communication (you can
also use ftp and smtp).

you can create the web service using any language that can talk soap -
ranging from C++ to perl. Once deployed to the web server - you have some
mean of connecting to the web service (i.e. URL) For an example...using
JSP - you would use the SOAP API to send the request to the service. I
suggest for you to grab a book - many langs support SOAP...it's up to you
how complex you want to make it.

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...