Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > charcters styles via html

charcters styles via html

brandons of mass destruction

ok, i work for a small weekly newspaper, using Quarkxpress 5.0 on the
Mac and i'm looking into translating our pages into xml for posting.

at the moment i can't figure out who to apply tags WITHIN a paragraph.
for instance most story's start with a lead in: the first few words are
bolded and all in uppercase. how would I duplicate that in XML? since
every tag has to end before starting a new one, there doesn't seem to be
a way to selectively (aka briefly change a tag and then change it back
to it's orignal formatting.

what am i missing?

Steven Dilley

"Johannes Koch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bg5qb3$kqtgu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> brandons of mass destruction wrote:
> > i'm looking into translating our pages into xml for posting.

> > for instance most story's start with a lead in: the first few words are
> > bolded and all in uppercase. how would I duplicate that in XML?

> Well, you can output

First, when you are creating the xml you have to mark up the first few
words so the xsl can handle them separately.
Once you have the xml shown above, you can transform it into

If you can't do the markup in xml, you may have to settle for the css
selector :first-line, (and text-transform:uppercase, or
font-variant:small-caps) which is not quite what you want.

> > there doesn't seem to be a way to selectively
> > (aka briefly) change a tag and then change it back
> > to it's orignal formatting.

What do you mean by this? Each tag has a start and end,
and applies to the content between the two. After the end
tag, the content is within some outer tag pair, and "changes
back" to the rules/styles/formatting for that tag.

--
Steve