Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Re: round two: XML vs DBMS

Re: round two: XML vs DBMS

Christopher Browne

Aarron <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Earlier I posted the HTML vs XHTML thread ... now its time for round two
>
> Im hoping someone can help me clarify the roles XML and a DBMS would
> have in a website. I may have answered my own question in trying to
> think of a way to word this message, but Ill throw it all out anyway.
>
> Am I correct in assuming that you ideally want to use a database and
> XML together? Store the data in your database, and extract the
> information to an XML file to make it easy to publish on a website.
>
> I guess the question is: Why would I want to write a script to extract
> an XML file when I could just as easily write a script to publish the
> information directly to the internet?

Good question.

If your script can directly access the database, then it would be much
simpler to not bother having a "middleman" that has to translate into
XML and then from XML to HTML.

The merit to using XML is if that "translation phase" needs to exist;
if your application _shouldn't_ actually access the DBMS.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/sgml.html

Re: DBMS versus XML APIs (was "any (preferably open source) staticanalysis tool or methodologies/studies to translate ANSI [C|C++] or javacode to XML?") Joe Kesselman XML 0 09-27-2011 12:52 PM
Re: round two: XML vs DBMS arachno XML 5 08-06-2003 08:57 AM
Re: round two: XML vs DBMS Aarron XML 0 07-21-2003 08:09 PM
Re: round two: XML vs DBMS Isofarro XML 0 07-21-2003 07:54 PM
Re: round two: XML vs DBMS Rajya Sabha XML 0 07-21-2003 06:59 PM

Advertisments