Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Re: HTML vs XHTML

Re: HTML vs XHTML

Nick Kew

In article <ujNSa.473703$(E-Mail Removed) >, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of Aarron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I understand that XHTML "combines the strength of HTML 4 with the power
> of XML" ... but how is an XHTML document immediately better than a well
> formed HTML page.

It isn't. Unless you have a specific need to run it through an XML
processor that won't take HTML.

> I'm fairly anal so these are all things I would normally try to do in an
> HTML document anyway.

Indeed. And you can apply validator switches ( -fully-tagged in OpenSP,
or "fussy" mode in Page Valet) that enforce all that for you.

You can also convert HTML <--> XHTML in software, so whatever you have
now is fine if you should have some compelling reason to change at
a future date.

When someone tells you XHTML is better than HTML, it's a fair bet
they're using "HTML" to mean tag-soup.

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html