Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Re: HTML vs XHTML

Re: HTML vs XHTML

Christophe Jacquet

Aarron wrote:
> I understand that XHTML "combines the strength of HTML 4 with the power
> of XML" ... but how is an XHTML document immediately better than a well
> formed HTML page.

In terms of "descriptive power", XHTML 1 is strictly equivalent to HTML 4.

But an XHTML document is an XML document, so it can be processed by
standard XML tools (XSLT, XML DOM, etc.)

What is more, it is possible to combine XHTML with other XML
applications in the same document, for instance a composite scientific
document mixing XHTML for text, SVG for diagrams and MathML for formulae.

--
Christophe Jacquet
http://jacquetc.free.fr/

Frensy

> What is more, it is possible to combine XHTML with other XML
> applications in the same document, for instance a composite scientific
> document mixing XHTML for text, SVG for diagrams and MathML for formulae.

Is this feature really supported by browsers now ?
I'm specially interested in combining XHTML & SVG ... So if this is
actually supported, how is the SVG plugin coming into play (One instance
per SVG block maybe ??? ).

Thanks,

Frensy.

Christophe Jacquet

Frensy wrote:
> Is this feature really supported by browsers now ?
> I'm specially interested in combining XHTML & SVG ... So if this is
> actually supported, how is the SVG plugin coming into play (One instance
> per SVG block maybe ??? ).

To my knowledge, XHTML+MathML is supported by the latest releases of
Mozilla (and Netscape). SVG integration is supported by special builds
of Mozilla, that have built-in SVG support. But Mozilla SVG support is
still not complete. It is still a work in progress...

I don't know if it works with the SVG plugin.

For SVG-enabled Mozilla builds, see http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/

--
Christophe Jacquet
http://jacquetc.free.fr/