Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Post XML

Post XML

Robyn Mylius

might seem like a dumb question but does anyone know how i can post XML from
the browser to the server, in just an ordanary HTML (derived from XML) page.
Flash can do it so i assume that there must be a way to do it from a
standard html page. i'd prefer not to use ActiveX or Java Applets, but if
that's how it done then so be it.

i need to get a better structure for the data being sent to the cgi script
then the MIME string.

William Garrison

I still don't get why you want to send XML from a browser. What is the
client doing? Are they modifying the database? Making queries?

Robyn Mylius wrote:

> the data I'm sending is not so much complex although it could be, I'm more
> interested in building a single cgi script that can generate a HTML or XML
> document from a template and if needed populate that document with the data
> from the DB, that's heading out to the client, then I need to be able to do
> the same coming the other way.
> the idea is that I can use this cgi script for any web database application
> with out the need to keep writing the server code, all I'd need to
> concentrate on is the unique things for that web site I.e session variables
> ect.
> the reason I am looking at Posting XML back to the server is because xml can
> describe the data, because from one web site to the next the database and
> the data in it is going to be different.
> so by reading the XML I can validate the data and determine where in the DB
> it need to go.
> but theres not much point going to the trouble if the client can't make use
> of it, a flash site could, but i want to use it for any web site.
> EJ idea of the msxml com control would do the trick, but being an activeX
> how do we go for cross platform?
> is there a java version?
>
> "Sascha Kerschhofer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bdbku5$jrj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>AFAIK you can only let the Browser create your XML and post it to the

> server
>
>>like usual. You could let JavaScript do that for you by process the user
>>input, write the XML in a hidden feeld and post the hidden feeld to your
>>CGI. But: be aware, that the client could send any junk to your script -

> so
>
>>I am in doubt if serverside processing the MIME string is more robust. Is
>>your data you want to enter realy that complex to need XML?
>>
>>Sascha Kerschhofer
>>
>>"Robyn Mylius" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>news:3ef93a27$0$26638$(E-Mail Removed) .au...
>>
>>>might seem like a dumb question but does anyone know how i can post XML

>>from
>>
>>>the browser to the server, in just an ordanary HTML (derived from XML)

>>page.
>>
>>>Flash can do it so i assume that there must be a way to do it from a
>>>standard html page. i'd prefer not to use ActiveX or Java Applets, but

> if
>
>>>that's how it done then so be it.
>>>
>>>i need to get a better structure for the data being sent to the cgi

> script
>
>>>then the MIME string.

Nick Kew

In article <3ef93a27$0$26638$(E-Mail Removed)> , one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Robyn Mylius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> might seem like a dumb question but does anyone know how i can post XML from
> the browser to the server, in just an ordanary HTML (derived from XML) page.

You mean form submission? There are a couple of modules you can
use to decode them and/or present them to your app as XML/XMTP.
Or if you mean file upload of an XML doc, just use mod_upload.

> i need to get a better structure for the data being sent to the cgi script
> then the MIME string.

Erm, if it's CGI, why not just use a CGI library to decode the data?
That's a readymade, tried-and-tested solution.

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html

Robyn Mylius

what are these modules that can decode the forms and present them as XML
called?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...