Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: where can i get IE for os x?

Re: where can i get IE for os x?

Dave Hinz

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:13:44 +0100, Mimic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Bruce Grubb wrote:
>>
>> If you write to the standard then IE should have no problems.

> hehehe, so naive

Perhaps, but still, you don't break a good part so it fits a bad part.

Paul Watt

"Bruce Grubb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Dave Hinz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:43:06 -0600, Bruce Grubb <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>> > Exactly the point. And besides you have to be doing some really
>> > obscure
>> > stuff for IE to have serious problems. Going for the standard is the
>> > way
>> > to go because as previous articles have pointed out HTMLing for version
>> > x.0.1 of browser y can have problems if x.0.2 fixes the bug you just
>> > HTMLed
>> > to.

>> Exactly. Long ago, people learned that you don't break the good part to
>> fit the bad, you fix the bad one to work with the good one. Applies in
>> mechanical assemblies as much as it applies to electronic
>> communications.
>>
>> > The only sane thing is to HTML to the standard and keep away from as
>> > much
>> > 'gee wizardry' as you can and go KISS. While the
>> ><http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html> page shows some fun
>> > bugs in IE

>> Heh. I wonder if Microsoft pays attention to that page. They should.
>> Talk about someone doing your homework for you and handing you a
>> repeatable testable problem statement.

> Mac users use to have this joke:
>
> Q: How many Microsoft programers does it take to change a light bulb?
>
> A: None. They declare darkness the new standard.
>
> (which explains why most Windows users and programmers have been in the
> dark for the last 15 years )
>
> This quote from December 29, 2005 article
> <http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battles/browsers_aacehieihi_gd/>
> about the end of IE for the MacOS suma up the problems:
>
> "We haven't innovated in the browser for almost a decade." (Dare
> Obsasanjo:
>
> A Jan 2006 article
>
> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060102-5880.html> was just as
> critical. More over it shows that for some PC FoxFire NOT IE will be the
> default browser.
>
> Worse yet a full 2 months before that Firefox had 14 percent market share
> in the US and was rapid at the 1/5 market share in Canada. In Japan IE is
> at 70% and dropping like a stone.
>
> Face it unless you are totally blind (or *believe* darkness IS the new
> standard) writing to IE is just plain stupid.

Write for standards, hack for IE. best of both worlds

Mimic

Dave Hinz wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:13:44 +0100, Mimic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Bruce Grubb wrote:
>>> If you write to the standard then IE should have no problems.

>> hehehe, so naive

> Perhaps, but still, you don't break a good part so it fits a bad part.

that wasnt the point

--
Mimic

"I'd rather reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven".

[email: ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ==]
Help Stop Spam - www.hidemyemail.net

"I have come to realise that, only in death, will I find true perfection."

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Dave Hinz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:13:44 +0100, Mimic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Bruce Grubb wrote:
> >>
> >> If you write to the standard then IE should have no problems.

> > hehehe, so naive

> Perhaps, but still, you don't break a good part so it fits a bad part.

Would you and Bruce Grubb please refrain from offering these
simple-minded nostrums?

--
dorayme

Bruce Grubb

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mimic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bruce Grubb wrote:
> >
> > If you write to the standard then IE should have no problems.

> hehehe, so naive

It not a question of being naive but the fact the standard is there for a
reason. If IE is doing something stupid with standard HTML then Microsoft
should be called on the carpet for it.

Bruce Grubb

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Dave Hinz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > hehehe, so naive

> > Perhaps, but still, you don't break a good part so it fits a bad part.

> Would you and Bruce Grubb please refrain from offering these
> simple-minded nostrums?

But the solution to HTML problems IS simple. Write to the standard and
KISS.

Bruce Grubb

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Bruce Grubb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Face it unless you are totally blind (or *believe* darkness IS the new
> > standard) writing to IE is just plain stupid.

> Write for standards, hack for IE. best of both worlds

If you have to 'hack' the HTML to get IE to behave correctly then odds are
you are not writing to the standard.

It is better to write to the standards and KISS.

The biggest problem IMHO is the fact too many people use WYSIWYG web
designing programs or word processors which barf out HTML guacamole. The
fact something like Amaya exist shows that you can write a program that
produces compliant HTML.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bruce Grubb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Mimic <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Bruce Grubb wrote:
> > >
> > > If you write to the standard then IE should have no problems.

> > hehehe, so naive

> It not a question of being naive but the fact the standard is there for a
> reason. If IE is doing something stupid with standard HTML then Microsoft
> should be called on the carpet for it.

There is something wrong Bruce with your attention to this
matter. No one is disputing that IE has bad faults. Or that it
would be nice for someone to carpet MS (you really are an
innocent through and through!)

--
dorayme

Bruce Grubb

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> dorayme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > Bruce Grubb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > If you write to the standard then IE should have no problems.

> > This is, once again, not correct. I do not know that you will
> > ever see this after what has been said.
> >
> > >We are having
> > > this same little talk over at alt.html in the "Which browser to write
> > > for??" thread.
> > >

> > You seem quite confused. This is alt.html.

> No! Now I am confused!

Seems you get confused easily.

> My remarks are still true about IE. You are confusing the order
> in which a website maker should do things. The discussion at
> alt.html is mainly about that. You seem to take the absurd
> position that all one needs to worry about is The Standards (W3C
> presumably).

Ideally that is all someone should worry about because HTMLing to bugs is
always going to give you grief. HTML to the standard will in the long run
have far less problems.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bruce Grubb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Would you and Bruce Grubb please refrain from offering these
> > simple-minded nostrums?

> But the solution to HTML problems IS simple. Write to the standard and
> KISS.

Do you think that repeating this unargued idea will make it true?

--
dorayme