Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Looking for an application to help me write HTML

Looking for an application to help me write HTML

Bob

What I am interested in is not a WYSIWYG application but something like
the old Hot Dog Pro (I think). Sometimes I have mistakes in my HTML like
a tag opened and not closed or a tag closed with no opening tag, or a
tag that is written slightly incorrectly (one character missing or in
the wrong place). I would like to be able to run my HTML through the
application and have the program fix tag typos for me. Are there any
programs like that out there. Notepad++ don't cut it, cuz it does not
find errors for me.

Hywel Jenkins

http://validator.w3.org/

--
Hywel

Jonathan N. Little

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>> What I am interested in is not a WYSIWYG application but something
>> like the old Hot Dog Pro (I think). Sometimes I have mistakes in my
>> HTML like a tag opened and not closed or a tag closed with no opening
>> tag, or a tag that is written slightly incorrectly (one character
>> missing or in the wrong place). I would like to be able to run my HTML
>> through the application and have the program fix tag typos for me. Are
>> there any programs like that out there. Notepad++ don't cut it, cuz it
>> does not find errors for me.

> http://validator.w3.org/

You could also use a text editor with syntax highlighting which can help
you quickly identify typos, I personally like freeware Crimson Editor
http://www.nullsoft.com but there are many out there

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:56:14 -0700, Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What I am interested in is not a WYSIWYG application but something like
>the old Hot Dog Pro (I think). Sometimes I have mistakes in my HTML like
>a tag opened and not closed or a tag closed with no opening tag, or a
>tag that is written slightly incorrectly (one character missing or in
>the wrong place).

There aren't many of these, because it's a non -trivial problem to parse
properly. Some of the older ones aren't all that accurate. Many of them
today parse XML fine (which is easier) but can't do it for HTML. There
are still some though, if you look.

You'd do well do get a copy of HTML Kit for starters, because that
includes HTML Tidy.

For issues about appropriate nesting of elements, rather than merey
syntactic well-formedness, then look for a real validator, like the W3C
one.

The are also things like Albert the Spammer's CSE HTML which are _not_
validators. These should be avoided, because they're not what you need
at all.

Jonathan N. Little

Andy Dingley wrote:
<snip>
> The are also things like Albert the Spammer's CSE HTML which are _not_
> validators. These should be avoided, because they're not what you need
> at all.

I would disagree, yes CSE HTML Validator Lite is a linter not a
validator but it can have its uses. I have a tweaked copy and it can be
useful to catch many syntax mistakes. It can be a quick (since it is a
local program) to precheck a page but you should do the final run
through a real validator. The little templates macros are not bad,
certainly better than FP and DW! Lacks syntax highlighting. I don't
really use it but can be a useful tool. I haven't had any spamming from
it but maybe my copy is too old.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>> What I am interested in is not a WYSIWYG application but something
>> like the old Hot Dog Pro (I think). Sometimes I have mistakes in my
>> HTML like a tag opened and not closed or a tag closed with no opening
>> tag, or a tag that is written slightly incorrectly (one character
>> missing or in the wrong place). I would like to be able to run my HTML
>> through the application and have the program fix tag typos for me. Are
>> there any programs like that out there. Notepad++ don't cut it, cuz it
>> does not find errors for me.

> http://validator.w3.org/

I want something that fixes local tags, not online tags. I want an
application that runs on my hard drive so I can check plain text
documents. I already have the Tidy extension for Firefox but that only
works on webpages, not text files on my drive.

Bob

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>> What I am interested in is not a WYSIWYG application but something
>> like the old Hot Dog Pro (I think). Sometimes I have mistakes in my
>> HTML like a tag opened and not closed or a tag closed with no opening
>> tag, or a tag that is written slightly incorrectly (one character
>> missing or in the wrong place). I would like to be able to run my HTML
>> through the application and have the program fix tag typos for me. Are
>> there any programs like that out there. Notepad++ don't cut it, cuz it
>> does not find errors for me.

> http://validator.w3.org/

Ok I can upload files to this thing. But a program might be simpler. Do
Coffee Cup and Hot Dog Pro do this?

Bob

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>> Bob wrote:
>>> What I am interested in is not a WYSIWYG application but something
>>> like the old Hot Dog Pro (I think). Sometimes I have mistakes in my
>>> HTML like a tag opened and not closed or a tag closed with no opening
>>> tag, or a tag that is written slightly incorrectly (one character
>>> missing or in the wrong place). I would like to be able to run my
>>> HTML through the application and have the program fix tag typos for
>>> me. Are there any programs like that out there. Notepad++ don't cut
>>> it, cuz it does not find errors for me.

>> http://validator.w3.org/
>>

> You could also use a text editor with syntax highlighting which can help
> you quickly identify typos, I personally like freeware Crimson Editor
> http://www.nullsoft.com but there are many out there

Right, but it doesn't point them out for you. You still have to trudge
through the code, right?

Bob

Andy Dingley wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:56:14 -0700, Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What I am interested in is not a WYSIWYG application but something like
>> the old Hot Dog Pro (I think). Sometimes I have mistakes in my HTML like
>> a tag opened and not closed or a tag closed with no opening tag, or a
>> tag that is written slightly incorrectly (one character missing or in
>> the wrong place).

> There aren't many of these, because it's a non -trivial problem to parse
> properly. Some of the older ones aren't all that accurate. Many of them
> today parse XML fine (which is easier) but can't do it for HTML. There
> are still some though, if you look.

I go through "fixing" my code, deleting old bad links and stuff, and I
end up with </a> tags stranded, and other stupid errors. I'm using
Blogger but I usually work in Blogger's HTML editor because it's Compose
window is so buggy. If there is even one screwed up tag, Blogger refuses
to upload the post. But it doesn't bother to point out where the
erroneous tag is.

Blogger's Composer is really bad. It throws in weird <font> tags with no
closing tag, sometimes 1000's of them. One time it put 100's of <wendy>
tags because the post was a conversation with "Wendy". It also does
stuff like taking every word in a given paragraph and making an anchor
tag out of it, really weird. It's just insane. Plus if you fix &'s with
&amp; Blogger goes through and reverts all the &amp; back to & if you
open the Compose window again.

Not only that, but it puts in an unholy amount of excess tags,
especially if you start cutting and pasting stuff.

> You'd do well do get a copy of HTML Kit for starters, because that
> includes HTML Tidy.

Ok, this runs on my drive like a program?

> For issues about appropriate nesting of elements, rather than merey
> syntactic well-formedness, then look for a real validator, like the W3C
> one.

Yes. I usually use Tidy for that, once the page is uploaded.

David Segall

Bob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hywel Jenkins wrote:
>> Bob wrote:
>>> What I am interested in is not a WYSIWYG application but something
>>> like the old Hot Dog Pro (I think). Sometimes I have mistakes in my
>>> HTML like a tag opened and not closed or a tag closed with no opening
>>> tag, or a tag that is written slightly incorrectly (one character
>>> missing or in the wrong place). I would like to be able to run my HTML
>>> through the application and have the program fix tag typos for me. Are
>>> there any programs like that out there. Notepad++ don't cut it, cuz it
>>> does not find errors for me.

>> http://validator.w3.org/

>I want something that fixes local tags, not online tags. I want an
>application that runs on my hard drive so I can check plain text
>documents. I already have the Tidy extension for Firefox but that only
>works on webpages, not text files on my drive.

Macromedia (now Adobe) Dreamweaver
<http://www.macromedia.com/software/dreamweaver/> has a 30 day free
trial. You may not find it worth the purchase price if you only want
to use the inbuilt validator.

The open source Nvu <http://www.nvu.com/index.html> will submit the
page you are editing, regardless of location, to
<http://validator.w3.org/>.