Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > image problem

image problem

Rob_W

axlq schreef:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Matt Probert <Via Usenet ONLY> wrote:

[snipped]

>>Have you tried tables?
>>
>></gets coat>

> Actually that's a good suggestion. I see more consistency between
> browsers in the way they display tables than the way they handle
> CSS. It's gotten to the point where I'm about to give up on CSS for
> layout, I'm so disgusted with how IE fails to conform to standards,
> and I don't want to litter my pages with ridiculous hacks to
> compensate for all the differences.
>
> -A

If you have to apply hacks, it will be in the stylesheet.
That means you don't have to litter your pages.

Rob

axlq

In article <4449b682$0$31646$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
Rob_W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>axlq schreef:
>> I'm so disgusted with how IE fails to conform to standards,
>> and I don't want to litter my pages with ridiculous hacks to
>> compensate for all the differences.

>If you have to apply hacks, it will be in the stylesheet.
>That means you don't have to litter your pages.

That's not quite true. Try making a CSS-only drop-down menu
(without using Javascript) that works the same under IE and other
browsers. All the examples I have seen required conditional markup
hacks in the document, as well as separate stylesheets for IE.

An excellent example of a cross-browser non-javascript CSS-only
drop-down menu is here:
http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/final_drop.html

It's quite nicely done, but it does require hacks in both CSS and
HTML.

-A

kchayka

axlq wrote:
> In article <4449b682$0$31646$(E-Mail Removed)4all.nl>,
> Rob_W <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>If you have to apply hacks, it will be in the stylesheet.
>>That means you don't have to litter your pages.

> That's not quite true. Try making a CSS-only drop-down menu

And why would I even want to? Those things are a PITA to use - I
wouldn't want any of my users to suffer with them.

BTW, contrary to popular belief, making them with CSS instead of JS does
*not* automatically make them more accessible.