Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > how much data can you pump into longblob from textarea?

how much data can you pump into longblob from textarea?

davemitc@gmail.com

If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
understand this. Dave

Oli Filth

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said the following on 19/04/2006 10:24:
> If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
> POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
> Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
> understand this. Dave

RTFM!!

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html

--
Oli

davemitc@gmail.com

Oli Filth wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) said the following on 19/04/2006 10:24:
> > If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
> > POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
> > Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
> > understand this. Dave

> RTFM!!
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html
>
> --
> Oli

Thank you for the link. Have a professionally great day :<-

davemitc@gmail.com

btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
before responding to the network next time. ok?

Jonathan N. Little

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
> before responding to the network next time. ok?

Actually it was of very good quality because you could have found your
answer there if you view it.

The given URL

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html

explains the different data types where you could have learned that:

"The four BLOB types are TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, and LONGBLOB.
These differ only in the maximum length of the values they can hold. The
four TEXT types are TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT. These
correspond to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths and
storage requirements. See Section 11.5, “Data Type Storage Requirements”."

And if you when to referenced link, Section 11.5

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...uirements.html

You would have discovered *exactly* what you wanted to know:

<your question 'that you did not properly quote in your response'>

If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
understand this.

</your question>

The storage limits, i.e., maximum number of characters each data type
can handle.

You're welcome. And learn to quote when you use Usenet.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Oli Filth

(E-Mail Removed) said the following on 19/04/2006 15:04:
> btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
> before responding to the network next time. ok?

What's that supposed to mean??? It's *your* job to research the
question, preferably by RTFM before posting here.

--
Oli

Ehsan

Interesting thread!!

Anyway no matter if it is PHP or MySQL or Apache (LAMP or WAMP) the
resources are all out there. Specially the great manuals that guys have
put up for us to read!! Please go through the manual first, reasearch
on net (type in the keywords in google) and I can bet you will find
your answer quicker than posting in groups and waiting for an answer.

Hope Reading The ***FANTASTIC*** Manuals will help us all!! <-- Was
there any mistake!!??

Thanks and God Bless!!

Ehsan
http://ehsan.bdwebwork.com

Hywel Jenkins

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
> before responding to the network next time. ok?

You idiot. How about RTFM before asking.

Learn to quote properly, too, you muppet.

--
Hywel

davemitc@gmail.com

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
> > before responding to the network next time. ok?
> >

> Actually it was of very good quality because you could have found your
> answer there if you view it.
>
> The given URL
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html
>
> explains the different data types where you could have learned that:
>
> "The four BLOB types are TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, and LONGBLOB.
> These differ only in the maximum length of the values they can hold. The
> four TEXT types are TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT. These
> correspond to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths and
> storage requirements. See Section 11.5, "Data Type Storage Requirements"."
>
> And if you when to referenced link, Section 11.5
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...uirements.html
>
> You would have discovered *exactly* what you wanted to know:
>
> <your question 'that you did not properly quote in your response'>
>
> If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
> POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
> Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
> understand this.
>
> </your question>
>
> The storage limits, i.e., maximum number of characters each data type
> can handle.
>
> You're welcome. And learn to quote when you use Usenet.
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan
> -------------------
> LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
> http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

I guess we have different views. If anybody knows the answer, not
"it's in the book" - and has run real-world tests, please share
succient knowledge so you can help advance my knowledge (and others who
could be interested). Though one day it might be interesting to
carefully read the entire ref-manual - I am hoping to get some friendly
dialog going about textbox data. If you don't share that specific
interest, please stay out of the thread or acting as a quasi-group
moderator.

PS - others, learn how to use this network. Your messages are
beginning to sound like "e-annoyances" - i.e. insults, which can send
you to jail these new months you're in. Better get nice. I don't want
to see them on my screen.

http://news.com.com/Create+an+e-anno...3-6022491.html

Oli Filth

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > > btw- your answer was poor quality, be sure to research the question
> > > before responding to the network next time. ok?
> > >

> > Actually it was of very good quality because you could have found your
> > answer there if you view it.
> >
> > The given URL
> >
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/data-types.html
> >
> > explains the different data types where you could have learned that:
> >
> > "The four BLOB types are TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, and LONGBLOB.
> > These differ only in the maximum length of the values they can hold. The
> > four TEXT types are TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT. These
> > correspond to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths and
> > storage requirements. See Section 11.5, "Data Type Storage Requirements"."
> >
> > And if you when to referenced link, Section 11.5
> >
> > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...uirements.html
> >
> > You would have discovered *exactly* what you wanted to know:
> >
> > <your question 'that you did not properly quote in your response'>
> >
> > If I use a MySQL longtext to receive data from a <TEXTAREA> via FORM
> > POST - how many characters can I transmit before it poofs out?
> > Similarly, how much for medium and tinytext? Thank you for helping me
> > understand this.
> >
> > </your question>
> >
> > The storage limits, i.e., maximum number of characters each data type
> > can handle.
> >
> > You're welcome. And learn to quote when you use Usenet.

> I guess we have different views. If anybody knows the answer, not
> "it's in the book" - and has run real-world tests, please share
> succient knowledge so you can help advance my knowledge (and others who
> could be interested). Though one day it might be interesting to
> carefully read the entire ref-manual - I am hoping to get some friendly
> dialog going about textbox data. If you don't share that specific
> interest, please stay out of the thread or acting as a quasi-group
> moderator.
>
> PS - others, learn how to use this network. Your messages are
> beginning to sound like "e-annoyances" - i.e. insults, which can send
> you to jail these new months you're in. Better get nice. I don't want
> to see them on my screen.

Stop being a dickhead and/or troll. This is a newsgroup, not a
"network"; the regulars here know "how to use" it. If you can't even
be arsed to look in the manual for the tool you're using, then what
sort of response do you expect? You were pointed to the exact location
to find the information you needed; why are you complaining?

You want to "advance your knowledge"? The best way to do that is to
learn how to find the information yourself. Newsgroups are here to
help, but not here to spoon feed you facts which are in the obvious
place (MySQL -> manual -> data types). Even if you couldn't work that
out (which is fair enough if you're new to this), then the least you
could've tried is run a search for "longtext" on the MySQL docs page
(or even on Google, which would've got you the answer pretty quickly).
Failing that, reading through sections of the manual is how people find
stuff out.

P.S. The twattish "annoyances" law doesn't apply to me, I'm in the UK.

--
Oli