Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > submitting form info???

Reply
Thread Tools

submitting form info???

 
 
John Russell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2006
Hi, I'm new to HTML. I'm a little confused about how form info is submitted
and how the webmaster accesses that info. Is there special software I need?
Does anyone know of a good form tutorial that can help? Thanks.

JC


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ironcorona
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2006
The easiest way to get form information is by using

<form method="post" action="(E-Mail Removed)">

in the form tags. [Where the email address is your email address.]
This will open up the users default mail client and ask them to send
you an email with the form information in it. This isn't exactly
useful though, try it and you'll see why. It sends the information as
a mess.

Probably what you REALLY want to be doing is sending the form data to a
programme on the server that interprets what the form sends you and
turns it into useful information. One of the common ways to do this is
by sending the data to a script (in a scripting language of your
choice).

I'm not really sure where you can get these from but just ask google
about server-side form scripts. I just quickly took a look there seems
to be some useful information
http://www.freewebmasterhelp.com/tutorials/php/6

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2006
ironcorona wrote:
> The easiest way to get form information is by using
>
> <form method="post" action="(E-Mail Removed)">


Oh God. Please don't do that. It doesn't work.

--
Hywel
 
Reply With Quote
 
Debbie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-18-2006
http://www.htmlhelp.com/faq/html/forms.html

Basic form stuff. also has some good links.

http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/forms/

Has a nice validator for checking your forms.
e.g.
<form action="http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/cgi-bin/mycgi.pl">

I found it useful, anyway, and I've (very) recently learnt about them
myself.

Good luck,

Debbie

 
Reply With Quote
 
Brian O'Connor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2006
Yes it does. Exactly as I've described. It sends the raw plaintext version
of the form data, by email, to the email address specified. It's designed
so that you can email the data to your CGI programme (or read it if thats
floats your boat).

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ironcorona wrote:
>> The easiest way to get form information is by using
>>
>> <form method="post" action="(E-Mail Removed)">

>
> Oh God. Please don't do that. It doesn't work.
>
> --
> Hywel



 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2006
[Top Posting corrected]

> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ironcorona wrote:
>>> The easiest way to get form information is by using
>>>
>>> <form method="post" action="(E-Mail Removed)">

>> Oh God. Please don't do that. It doesn't work.



Brian O'Connor wrote:
> Yes it does. Exactly as I've described. It sends the raw plaintext version
> of the form data, by email, to the email address specified. It's designed
> so that you can email the data to your CGI programme (or read it if thats
> floats your boat).
>


No it doesn't. At least NOT dependably. Here is one of MANY links that
explain why.

http://www.apptools.com/rants/mailto.php
Using Mailto in a Form Action

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
ironcorona
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2006
Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> No it doesn't. At least NOT dependably. Here is one of MANY links that
> explain why.
>
> http://www.apptools.com/rants/mailto.php
> Using Mailto in a Form Action


Okay, okay, I see what you mean. I never thought of it that way because
I've always had a mail client set up. Anyway, I wouldn't advise using
mailto anyway (even if everything was set up properly). There's easier
ways to get it to a CGI and it's pretty unfriendly to read by itself.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jonathan N. Little
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-19-2006
ironcorona wrote:
> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>
>> No it doesn't. At least NOT dependably. Here is one of MANY links that
>> explain why.
>>
>> http://www.apptools.com/rants/mailto.php
>> Using Mailto in a Form Action

>
> Okay, okay, I see what you mean. I never thought of it that way because
> I've always had a mail client set up. Anyway, I wouldn't advise using
> mailto anyway (even if everything was set up properly). There's easier
> ways to get it to a CGI and it's pretty unfriendly to read by itself.


Absolutely agree, as much as I prefer Perl, PHP makes it pretty easy.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2006
Brian O'Connor wrote:
> "Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ironcorona wrote:
>>> The easiest way to get form information is by using
>>>
>>> <form method="post" action="(E-Mail Removed)">

>> Oh God. Please don't do that. It doesn't work.


> Yes it does. Exactly as I've described. It sends the raw plaintext

version
> of the form data, by email, to the email address specified. It's

designed
> so that you can email the data to your CGI programme (or read it if

thats
> floats your boat).
>


There are two types of people with whom I refuse to have a battle of
wits: those who top-post and those who are unarmed. Pick a category.

--
Hywel
 
Reply With Quote
 
Alan J. Flavell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-20-2006
On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Hywel Jenkins wrote:

> > > > <form method="post" action="(E-Mail Removed)">
> > > Oh God. Please don't do that. It doesn't work.

>
> > Yes it does. Exactly as I've described.


It might do that from a subset of browsers and configurations.
You've already been advised, quite correctly, that it is not a
responsible thing to offer on the WWW.

The only specified protocol for a form action attribute is http.
Whatever happens when you use something else is, well, whatever
happens.

> > It sends the raw plaintext version of the form data, by email, to
> > the email address specified.


So it's not even in one of the defined form submission formats.
Even worse.

> > It's designed so that you can email the data to your CGI programme


Now you're putting words together without achieving any coherent
sense. The CGI is a defined software interface between a web server
and your server-side "script" (using the term "script" in the generic
sense in which it's commonly used in the relevant context).

If you don't submit the form to a web server - using one of the
submission formats defined in the HTML specification - then you
haven't got the circumstances where the CGI software interface comes
into play. So your talk of a "CGI programme"(sic) seems to be out of
place.

In short, you're on your own. Which might be fine if you were only
doing it to yourself; but it appears you're proposing to do it to the
web, which isn't nice.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Form within a Form - will it cause problems when submitting? Dave Smithz HTML 3 10-30-2009 07:24 AM
Re: Page does not refresh after submitting form Mike Szanto ASP .Net 1 02-04-2005 06:17 PM
Submitting form from another frame does not run onsubmit of that form Kai Grossjohann Javascript 4 12-09-2003 02:49 PM
submit opener form after submitting pop-up form Marco Alting Javascript 7 10-30-2003 01:46 PM
Submitting form with a unique ID James Brown ASP .Net 2 07-06-2003 12:09 AM



Advertisments