Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Magic Border Of The Unexpected Variety

Magic Border Of The Unexpected Variety

Blinky the Shark

I've got a weird one for you.

On my main page: http://blinkynet.net/

With Firefox, if I left click anywhere on the page, the thin black border
of the first photo (Cousin Stinky) disappears, and the image shifts just
that tiny amount up and left to compensate. The caption also moves just a
hair with it.

With Konqueror, the same thing happens plus the adjacent lines in
the paragraph in which the image appears shifts a hair to the left as well.

None of that in Opera.

Whuh?

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Martin Jay

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I've got a weird one for you.
>
>On my main page: http://blinkynet.net/
>
>With Firefox, if I left click anywhere on the page, the thin black border
>of the first photo (Cousin Stinky) disappears, and the image shifts just
>that tiny amount up and left to compensate. The caption also moves just a
>hair with it.

It's this line at the bottom of your CSS that's causing the effect:

:active IMG { border: none }

To me, it appear to be a correct action.
--
Martin Jay

Jonathan N. Little

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> I've got a weird one for you.
>
> On my main page: http://blinkynet.net/
>
> With Firefox, if I left click anywhere on the page, the thin black border
> of the first photo (Cousin Stinky) disappears, and the image shifts just
> that tiny amount up and left to compensate. The caption also moves just a
> hair with it.
>
> With Konqueror, the same thing happens plus the adjacent lines in
> the paragraph in which the image appears shifts a hair to the left as well.
>
> None of that in Opera.

I think in your CSS:

:link IMG {

border : none;

}
:visited IMG {

border : none;

}
:active IMG {

border : none;

}

where you have pseudo-classes not attach to any element or class so that
Firefox et al. will view it as a wildcard and apply to such non-link
elements as DIV, P, LI and all...and the BODY perhaps? And ':active' on
a link traps when your have 'mousedown' event, so I assume that Firefox
is interpreting your CSS as

BODY:active IMG { border : none; }

so a 'mousedown' anywhere on the BODY will remove a border on any IMG
that is child of the BODY thus changing its spacing if the image had a
border causing the jittery reflow...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan N. Little wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> I've got a weird one for you.
>>
>> On my main page: http://blinkynet.net/
>>
>> With Firefox, if I left click anywhere on the page, the thin black
>> border of the first photo (Cousin Stinky) disappears, and the image
>> shifts just that tiny amount up and left to compensate. The caption
>> also moves just a hair with it.
>>
>> With Konqueror, the same thing happens plus the adjacent lines in the
>> paragraph in which the image appears shifts a hair to the left as well.
>>
>> None of that in Opera.

> I think in your CSS:
>
> :link IMG {
>
> border : none;
>
> }
> :visited IMG {
>
> border : none;
>
> }
> :active IMG {
>
> border : none;
>
> }
>
> where you have pseudo-classes not attach to any element or class so that
> Firefox et al. will view it as a wildcard and apply to such non-link
> elements as DIV, P, LI and all...and the BODY perhaps? And ':active' on a
> link traps when your have 'mousedown' event, so I assume that Firefox
> is interpreting your CSS as
>
> BODY:active IMG { border : none; }
>
> so a 'mousedown' anywhere on the BODY will remove a border on any IMG that
> is child of the BODY thus changing its spacing if the image had a border
> causing the jittery reflow...

Thanks, and thanks to all. Methinks I should've figured that out. :-/