Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Best site counter?

Best site counter?

ross

I am looking for the best deal on a counter. I would like total hits plus
unique hits. Any ideas appreciated, Dick Ross

Nico Schuyt

http://awstats.sourceforge.net/

--
Nico Schuyt
http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "ross" <(E-Mail Removed)>
vouchsafed:

> I am looking for the best deal on a counter. I would like total hits
> plus unique hits. Any ideas appreciated, Dick Ross

I use statcounter at:

http://www.statcounter.com/

Free and good.

--
Neredbojias
Infinity can have limits.

Brian Cryer

"ross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1533f$444325d2$407e4dea$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking for the best deal on a counter. I would like total hits plus
>unique hits. Any ideas appreciated, Dick Ross

Are you after a "counter" or a "tracker"? The distinction being that a
counter gives a visible count on your web pages of either the total number
of page loads for that page or for your site. A tracker doesn't (normally)
give a page counter, but does allow you to track the number of visitors
across your site. (And yes, the distinction between the two can become very
blurred).

Personally, I use HitTracker
(http://world.icdirect.com/icdirect/hitTracker.asp), which probably does
what you are after - it does require an image to appear on each page but
doesn't give a visible counter.

I've accumulated a list of counters:
http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/websitecounters.htm, and a list of
trackers: http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/websitetracking.htm, which might
help.

If you have access to your server logs then you don't need a
counter/tracker, but software to analyse the logs. Nico's posting for
awstats is one of the better ones I've seen, and is one I use for some of my
sites.

Hope this is useful.
--
Brian Cryer